Question Security camera/CCTV surveillance system recommendation

airmark

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some outdoor security cameras and would like recommendations.

Requirements:

- I need to monitor 2 separate outdoor areas (connected, so it's really a big U shape). I think I need a minimum of two cameras with very wide angle (that would be ideal) or 3 cameras.

- IP connectivity and recording ideally locally (I don't mind having a separate DVR box and I have spare HDDs lying around, and I don't want to pay monthly cloud access fees.

- Ideally I would like connection to Fibaro as I already have the Fibaro Home Center 2 and it would be nice to run actions/get alerts via it.

- Good value for money :)

I've been looking for some cctv myself at the moment. I'm hoping to pick up some IP cameras and a DVR.
Those are only 1.3 mp cameras so far from the best! I'm considering some 4 mp Hikvision cameras I just need to find a suitable DVR then.
What's your budget?

2.8mm lens is fine, yes, and this camera looks great. But I need 3 of them to cover the entire area, so it would get quite expensive (after including a DVR and cables).
I don't have a preset budget, but at the same time I don't need anything too fancy either.
I went ahead and bought the kit I linked above as I needed it fairly quickly. I can still cancel the order but I have to be quick. If I get 3 of these Hikvision cameras, what DVR can I then use and what else do I need (cables I guess)?

1.3mp may be plenty depending on what you want from it. I don't imagine you'll be able to pick faces up though.
The cables the cheap part as you only need cat5.
I've just purchased a Hikvision NVR to go with it for £124.99 off Amazon too. If you have a NAS then it's possible to use that but it looked a bit too technical for me to go that route.
If you need three cameras and an NVR then it really is adding up.

Yes, I would be looking at around £450 for the package (cables are cheap, but NVR, 3 cameras, HDD, they add up). This may still be justified though, if I ever need better picture quality as indeed you are right, especially at night I probably won't be able to pick up faces. Given Murphy's Law if I get the cheaper system, that's when I will need the higher quality, if I go for the more expensive one I won't ever need it!

anyone?
How is this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NZWIZYS/
and can it be connected to Fibaro?
I bought a very similar system with the same brand. The cameras are great quality and the night vision is excellent too. However, the NVR software is abysmal and the mobile app monitoring is through a horrible third party app (XMEye) which nukes your phone battery or via a browser plugin that uses ActiveX and unsigned DLL's!
I have, however, managed to get to the raw camera streams so can use VLC or Onvifer to view them plus I've got the streams in SmartThings too. I haven't managed to get the FTP upload working though and it doesn't sync recordings to dropbox etc.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Good to hear that the cameras are good, I suppose that's the most important thing. I read in one of the reviews about the software, but someone said that the latest update fixed many of the issues (such as the activeX). I may still need to ask you how to access the raw streams directly, that may be the best option.

I've just been liaising with support for updated firmware for mine, but the file they sent me is dated 2015. Just gone back to them with some follow up questions/concerns

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom