Security Camera Behind Glass

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
Hi, I'm considering getting an indoor security camera that sits at a window and is pointed out towards the backyard. I've read that night vision doesn't work behind double glazing because of the IR lights causing reflection and glare. Is there any way around this or is there a camera suitable for this sort of set up? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks.

sep8001

Hi, I'm considering getting an indoor security camera that sits at a window and is pointed out towards the backyard. I've read that night vision doesn't work behind double glazing because of the IR lights causing reflection and glare. Is there any way around this or is there a camera suitable for this sort of set up? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Check if the camera has a way to switch off the IR light or you could put a tape on it.

I had one I was using but cannot remember the name. Will check and update the thread.

The one issue I found was the quality and the app UI was not good. It was cheap at £25 on Amazon.

In the end I went for the ring floodlights which is better but you do need power, unless you go for one of the solar spot light options.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
You can get a cheap Reolink one that you can turn the IR’s off with, as yes it will cause issues. But you also really need a polarising leans too, as you will get a lot of reflections. Is there any reason you can’t mount one outside?

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
Autopilot- Having looked at the options or lack of I realise that an outside camera would probably be a more suitable option. Do you have any suggestions. I'd need one with a wide field of view to cover the backdoor then the yard and preferably wireless and solar.

sep8001

Autopilot- Having looked at the options or lack of I realise that an outside camera would probably be a more suitable option. Do you have any suggestions. I'd need one with a wide field of view to cover the backdoor then the yard and preferably wireless and solar.
I would look at the Ring range. They are expensive when not on offer but the software is good compared to the other cheaper range ones.

sep8001

Do you have anyway of getting a power supply to where you need the camera?

If you already have a security light outside you can replace it with one of these:

Looks like they are currently on offer at £179, they are usually £249.

If you do not have a power out let you could go for something like this:

Another option is the blink ones which run on AA batteries:

Amazon product
The thing I did not like about this is the UI and what you can do on the app.

Also all users have the same options, so if someone was to snooze the alerts it would snooze the alerts for everyone.

On the ring one, you have different accounts, one as the main user with full access and the secondary user with limited access.

Depending on how big the back yard is you will not get cover till the end, but the field of view on the ring flood light covers most of my garden and also the back door just about.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
If you looking at battery powered event recording cameras, rather than 24/7 CCTV, I’m personally a fan of Reolink.

Markr123

I use a wired hikvision system but needed to monitor another area that I couldn’t current cover easily. Tried the Blink camera. Returned quickly after also trying Eufy. Absolutely brilliant with local storage, great wireless range. App is great too as super quick, easy setup.

Deal: eufy Security, eufyCam 2C 2-Cam Kit, Security Camera Outdoor, Wireless Home Security System with 180-Day Battery Life, HomeKit Compatibility, 1080p HD, IP67, Night Vision, No Monthly Fee
by AnkerDirect
Learn more: Amazon product

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
You could have a camera inside with a solar PIR light outside for illumination. But you need to check what method the camera uses for detection, IR or pixel changes. IR (as used by Amazon Blink) won't detect motion outside when placed inside.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom