Security advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dts_boy, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Following an attempted break-in at my home today (luckily I was home and managed to scare them off as they were entering!) I want to beef up security.
    I don't have a huge budget but am considering the following measures:
    1) CCTV cameras to cover the vulnerable points but also to act as deterrent
    2) floodlight to cover back garden area - not too sure this is any use as someone must have first gained access to get round the back to start with
    3) I don't have shock sensors and contacts on ground floor windows/doors at the moment - will this make any kind of difference?

obviously you can't see layout of house but the vulnerable point is a side gate from front which leads down side of house ( other side of my house is woodland).
    Pretty shook up right now and am glad it was me at home, not my wife and daughter - dread to think what would have happened if they got in and then I found them.
    am I jumping off the deep end and in what order should I do the above?
    Any other advice will be gratefully accepted - short of taking up arms of course (although will be investing in large mag light - for blackouts obviously!)

2. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,814
    The police should have offered you a visit from their crime prevention dept, they'll identify areas for you to improve security and give advice etc, get back in touch and get a visit

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks - they didn't but will definitely do that!

4. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    If you don't mind me asking where did they try to break in.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

5. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    They tried getting in through patio doors. They knocked out one of the glass panels of the door and one of them was in the middle of climbing through when I came down the stairs

6. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Not an expert, but the big thing I remember from seeing advice is just do what you can to make it a complete pain in the arse for them.

There's no such thing as a perfect system, and you could break into the Bank of England with enough time and resources. But if the burglar sees something that makes your house just a bit more tricky than next door, then they'll go there.

Triggered lighting is cheap. I think you can get a cheap CCTV set up from Maplins. Basic burglar alarms are cheap, and upgradeable - add a new sensor when you can afford it.

Spikes on the top of walls/fences. Neighbourhood watch sticker in the window. Move valuables out if view of the back windows (if that's possible).

If the back gate is a weak point, put a lock on it and spikes on the top (I say 'spikes', I think they're rubber now), that would be pretty cheap.

Steve W

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Unfortunately you have to operate by a simple rule. Just make your house visibly harder/more risky to break into than others in the area. Lights are very good for night time burglaries. CCTV is normally good as a deterrent only, it's virtually impossible to get identifying video because the burglars conceal their faces. That being said, just having obvious cameras up on the walls covering the angles would be good.

If you like animals then dogs are great for this, failing that some geese. If you can't have or don't want animals then make all gates more secure. If security is more important than aesthetics then razor wire is highly effective, but you'll need a warning sign on each corner it's used to remain compliant.

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Thanks for all the advice - yesterday's post was a bit rash as it was all still so fresh in my mind. After a night's sleep (or lack of!) I am now thinking a bit more clearly and have done the basics - big visible padlock on side gate, moved bins inside of gate so they can't stand onto bin and jump over.
    Will be adding the shock sensors to doors and windows on ground floor and investing in a CCTV system which i can remotely monitor as well

9. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,377
    Might not be practical but a dog is seen as one of the most effective deterrents.

10. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,229
    We had a redundant alley behind us and after my neighbour got broken into I planted a few Pyracantha Firethorns along the back wall. Took a few years for them to get the height, but wow, that's something no one could get through and only cost a few £'s per plant. Nice coloured berries during the year as well.

We've, along with out neighbours have taken the alley now and the Pyracantha's have been cut down, which was a bloody nightmare.

11. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    My wife is dead against a dog - i was half thinking about some kind of break beam sensor which would trigger a dog barking sound but maybe thats too complicated and a waste of money! No harm in getting a Beware of the Dog sign though :)

12. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,680
    Shame you dont have a paintball gun mate, could have marked them for later identification :D

13. SteakAndCake

SteakAndCake
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,580
    Get some IP cameras. Then you can watch the house from work or anywhere with an internet connection. The expensive ones can be zoomed and panned remotely and can auto capture images on schedule or movement.

14. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +815
    no doubt in this day you'd probably get done for assault doing that! :suicide:

15. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Low level "constantly on" lighting is a far better security detterrent that triggered flood lighting (and can actually look good too)...you can get some nice dusk till dawn LED's now. I'd also plump for Smartwater...assuming these weren't just junkies, "pro" burgulars will tend to avoid a Smart watered property as fencing is difficult and they reallly dont want to get caught. I'd aslo go for a monitored alarm instead of CCTV...most DIY CCTV kits are quite frankly crap IMHO.

16. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,680
    Someone breaks into your house they shouldn't be allowed to leave alive, now that is a good deterrent. Save paperwork and prison space as well.

17. MartinMiller

MartinMiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +643
  18. p1tse

p1tse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    When we had an attempted break in the advice on dark areas I.e around the back is to have dusk to dawn light on not sensor, as this will make anyone more visible