Question Securing stand mount speakers to the stand.

Jason72

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm copying this question from another thread I posted on A.V. Forums. It has not received any replies so far but I consider it to be a very practical and important question.

I recently purchased a pair of Dynaudio special 40 speakers and in the last week a pair of Dynaudio 6 speaker stands which when filled with sand are very solid and heavy.

Basically I am terrified of having the Dynaudio 40's on the dynaudio 6 stands for fear that they will either fall or get knocked off the stands. I understand people often use 'bluetack or similar' but that still does not put me at ease. I would genuinely be interested in peoples alternatives. After all, you only need one young child to give one a shove at a social gathering and your looking at a hefty repair bill !! It genuinely confuses me that this subject rarely comes up on the Forums but it's actually one of my worst fears.
Gregory

My Q Acoustics 3020s have threaded inserts in the bottom of the speaker so they can be through-bolted to the stand. If this is a major concern for you, either install some small blind threaded inserts in the Dynaudio 40s, as no one will see them and it won't affect the speaker enclosure integrity. Or buy speakers that have some sturdy attachment points.

Really... blu tac is all you need.

Put a good size portion in a plastic bag, (or two), then put the bag in a cup of hot, not boiling water.

Wait a mo until it’s really and truly soft.

Then make four generous spheroids (with clean, dry hands) and put them on the speaker stand a little bit in form each corner so it doesn’t squish out.

Then, making sure you have your speaker centred on the stand put some weight (lean on it) on the speaker to compress the blu tac.

Once gone off, give it 24hrs, it’s a tight sturdy join. After a few days, it’s more so.

They won’t budge, promise.

Ps, you might want to wipe down the stand plates with a vigorous isopropyl wielding cloth to eliminate any dirt\grease. Even if apparently clean.

Bluetac per Paul7777x sounds more like glue than the ever-sticky goop used to hang paper and bristol board on blackboards when I was young... a half-century ago. Being a nuts-and-bolts kinda techie, I will use fasteners where I feel the need to ensure something with any amount of mass or cost stays put. The QA's have the mount attachment inserts, plus as many speakers, have inserts to fit either spikes or rubber feet.

Whichever way satisfies your concerns...

If you go the bluetac route, a definite yes to using isopropyl to degrease, assuming the alcohol won't attack the stand's finish.

alternatively.. squash balls cut in half and used in conjuction with speaker spikes are an interesting thought.. but definately blu or white-tack.

I use blu-tack on my Special Fortys. I didn’t use Paul’s heating method, just plain old cold blu-tack. It’s very solid. I’m 99% confident that if someone shoved the speaker then it would not be dislodged before the point that the stand tipped over - after which you’re screwed anyway.

I’ve got mine in close up in front of the bay windows in the lounge, and on one occasion the dog was laying on the windowsill behind the right hand speaker and she saw a cat in the street. She went beserk, obviously (typical westie), and in her excitement she slipped and fell off the windowsill, hitting the back of the speaker on her way down. The whole speaker and stand rocked back and forth for a few seconds. We were too far away to do anything about it, so we sat on the sofa with our hearts in our mouths, but it was fine in the end. The point is, in terms of the speaker being blu-tacked to the stand, it did not budge in the slightest.

Another +1 for Blu-Tack!

It's unbelievably strong and tacky, and unless your standmounts weigh a ton will pretty much ensure that they'll stay stuck to your stands.

I'd say it's at the bottom you need to focus on: make sure your stands are planted into the floor and don't rock or wobble hugely when nudged.

+1 on the Blu-Tack. My speakers have been nudged a couple of times and have felt firmly attached. The only way they're going over is if the stand goes too.

@Weetabix,
I'm with you on that one,
Bluetak £1-47 Amazon.
Acoustic dampening putty £19-99 + postage !! 😉
Gregory

I used Velcro tape to secure my speakers to their stands. Dearer than Blu-Tak but it feels really secure. I bought the heavy duty tape, cut to size two strips per speaker. It's rated to hold about 14kg with that amount of tape!

The problem with BluTack is it could stain or even delaminate the veneer of your speakers when you come to separate them from the stands. This is not an issue for cheap speakers with plastic faux wood finish's but your 40's may use real wood veneer...

I would not let that stuff near my Harbeth's!

Last edited:
Hi SickSquirrel,
Thanks for the advice re the bluetack. It does seem to be a firm favourite with the Forum Members.
Could you please let me know what you use for holding your Harbeth's in place on their stands.
Gregory

It’s not a problem.

Assuming you are using metal stands you simply warm the top plate, gently, with a heat gun from beneath and the speakers lift right off with little effort once a little warmth, and therefore squishiness, has entered the blu tack through the stands.

Straight off. No problems.

I bought monitor audio gold 100 stand amounted speakers that have stands designed to suit and bolts to fix accordingly. Result.

Hi SickSquirrel,
Thanks for the advice re the bluetack. It does seem to be a firm favourite with the Forum Members.
Could you please let me know what you use for holding your Harbeth's in place on their stands.
Gregory

Have a word with Dynaudio, I am sure they will give you good advice with regards to your speakers.

You may be fine using BluTack, I just wanted to warn you what has happened to a few Harbeth owners who used BluTack...

The problem with BluTack is it could stain or even delaminate the veneer of your speakers when you come to separate them from the stands. This is not an issue for cheap speakers with plastic faux wood finish's but your 40's may use real wood veneer...

I would not let that stuff near my Harbeth's!
If a tree falls in a forest... nobody will ever see under your speakers

As far as i know.. the dynaudio stands come with 2 options for mounting speakers onto .. spikes for the top plate and damping sticky pads .. i do know they can provide custom mounting plates for a good few models in their range so definitely worth an ask. Here is their direct contact us link Submit a request – Dynaudio

The 40s are lacquered so at worst you risk marring the lacquer, which is on the underside of the speakers where no one will ever see.

If a tree falls in a forest... nobody will ever see under your speakers

True but it affects resale value, the OP's speakers are close to £2.5k and he may want to maximise his resale value...

True but it affects resale value, the OP's speakers are close to £2.5k and he may want to maximise his resale value...

I get what you mean, but leaving the underside of the speakers (any speakers - unless they have integral mounting points) in absolutely pristine condition and absolutely securing them to the stands may be mutually exclusive objectives.

If you advertise a pair of speakers as being in pristine condition except for some marks underside where they‘ve been blu-tacked to stands, then that won’t put off any sensible buyer, surely?

On the other hand, on the description for the Stand 20 (not the Stand 6 as far as I could see at a glance, so the OP should probably double check if the same applies) Dynaudio say that with the supplied rubber pads on the top, you can tilt the stand by up to 10 degrees without the speaker being dislodged. If that provides assurance enough, then no need to risk marring the finish on the underside with blu-tack.

Hi,
Thank you to all the Members who have posted on this thread and for all the great advice.
I did indeed contact Dynaudio who are going to supply me (for a small fee) with an 'accessory pack' (sounds ominous). I'll wait till that arrives and see what it contains. I will also go and purchase some Blutack just in case the 'accessory pack' does not 'do the job'.
I had a feeling that the subject of keeping speakers safe on stands would be of interest to some of the Forum Members and judging by the response I've confirmed that fact.

Hi,
Thank you to all the Members who have posted on this thread and for all the great advice.
I did indeed contact Dynaudio who are going to supply me (for a small fee) with an 'accessory pack' (sounds ominous). I'll wait till that arrives and see what it contains. I will also go and purchase some Blutack just in case the 'accessory pack' does not 'do the job'.
I had a feeling that the subject of keeping speakers safe on stands would be of interest to some of the Forum Members and judging by the response I've confirmed that fact.
Glad to hear you contacted Dynaudio and that they're sorting some bits out for you. As i mentioned on my last post where i put the dynaudio contact link in... they do dedicated top attachments for some of their higher end range like the Contour series so hopefully this accessory pack is of use to you :)

Hi,

There are also these things, has anyone tried them?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Tbf blu tack and squash balls will both ruin the timing of the speakers. Always been recommended for some reason and that's fine if you want to ruin your sound. For sound quality cones made out of hardwood are pretty much the best vfm upgrade. However I know you're asking about securing them to the stands. I'd suggest contacting dynaudio to see if they can factory install some threaded inserts that would be compatible with your dynaudio stands.
Edit : didn't read the second page after being so triggered about blu tack and squash balls. Happy to hear dyn will help you out.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom