Question Securing DIY speaker grill to front of AV unit - best fixing?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by happychappy, Jun 12, 2017.

1. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi all

I have an Oak Furniture Land Alto large TV cabinet that I have placed a sub inside of the centre section which is unused for equipment.

Alto Natural Solid Oak Large TV Cabinet

I have made a speaker frame/cover for the centre section from oak and have covered the open section of the frame with speaker grill fabric, all looks very acceptable and pretty much matches the original unit, so far so good.

My problem is how do I fix my DIY frame/cover to the TV unit without drilling into the unit and using speaker grill plastic grommets?

My original idea was to use magnetic catches, however we have fitted wardrobes that use these and they are a bit fiddly and hit and miss regarding their securing ability.

Anyone have any ideas of other types of fixings?

The cover will sit flat around the outside of the apperture I.e, it's about a couple of inches bigger that the apperture all the way round, in actual fact it looks pretty much exactly the same as the cupboard doors either side.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Roly

Roly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Velcro is a possible solution.

3. happychappy

happychappy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Good call, I hadn't thought of that.

However I went for the magnetic catches and all seems to be ok, took an age to align correctly though!