Securing 40in LCD without actually wall mounting it

sulisglass

Standard Member
This is probably a really stupid question, but we bought a fabulous TV, Samsung 7 series - love it. We put it on a TV bench, but it's not very secure and the kids could easily knock into it and it fall over. So the little booklet mentions that it's possible to secure it to the wall,with a special bracket - and something about some string?!?! I can't find any brackets other than the type used to actually wall mount it.

Am I being exceptionally thick here? Please can anyone offer any advice??

This is probably a really stupid question, but we bought a fabulous TV, Samsung 7 series - love it. We put it on a TV bench, but it's not very secure and the kids could easily knock into it and it fall over. So the little booklet mentions that it's possible to secure it to the wall,with a special bracket - and something about some string?!?! I can't find any brackets other than the type used to actually wall mount it.

Am I being exceptionally thick here? Please can anyone offer any advice??

On our Sony there is a hole in the tv pedestal which can be used either to screw the pedestal (and thus the tv) to whatever the tv is standing on or, if you prefer, to thread strong string or cord to the wall behind the tv

We have used this as I agree there is a safety need to anchor the tv to prevent it falling forward

sulisglass

Standard Member
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not going mad about that string thing, my partner has the booklet at home and I thought maybe I had misunderstood that!!

Do you use a special bracket for the wall? We don't have any fixings in the base, there are holes in the back of the TV for fixing/anchoring purpose. If no special bracket is required, I guess I can just buy anything sturdy and suitably shaped from B&Q and secure it that way?

Thanks again!:D

The current Sony manual says:-

Preventing the TV from toppling over

Install a wood screw in the tv stand (i.e. the thing the tv is standing on)

Install a machine screw into the screw hole of the tv

Tie the wood screw and the machine screw with strong cord

While it may be that this loses something in the translation from the original Japanese there is no doubt that some restraint is needed in case anyone trips near the tv and grabs the set to avoid falling. Quite apart from injury there is the question of cost

Obviously what you do depends on the location of the tv and your own circumstances

You need to stop the set being able to fall forwards and if it is located on a piece of wooden furnitue the easiest way is to secure it by drilling a hole in the tv pedestal and screwing the tv to the furniture so that it cannot fall

If the stand is glass then you will need to arrange to tie the tv to the rear wall. Secure a hook in the wall and using strong cord tie the hook to the tv. If there is no suitable place on the tv or the pedestal to secure the cord how about using super glue or impact adhesive to glue a plate and hook to the tv

What do the tv makers suggest?

sulisglass

Standard Member
The current Sony manual says:-

Preventing the TV from toppling over

Install a wood screw in the tv stand (i.e. the thing the tv is standing on)

Install a machine screw into the screw hole of the tv

Tie the wood screw and the machine screw with strong cord

While it may be that this loses something in the translation from the original Japanese there is no doubt that some restraint is needed in case anyone trips near the tv and grabs the set to avoid falling. Quite apart from injury there is the question of cost

Obviously what you do depends on the location of the tv and your own circumstances

You need to stop the set being able to fall forwards and if it is located on a piece of wooden furnitue the easiest way is to secure it by drilling a hole in the tv pedestal and screwing the tv to the furniture so that it cannot fall

If the stand is glass then you will need to arrange to tie the tv to the rear wall. Secure a hook in the wall and using strong cord tie the hook to the tv. If there is no suitable place on the tv or the pedestal to secure the cord how about using super glue or impact adhesive to glue a plate and hook to the tv

What do the tv makers suggest?
Samsung say that there are holes in the back of the TV which can be used to thread string though, this can be fixed to a bracket on the wall. Initially I thought maybe there was a bracket that has been designed for this purpose, but it seems not.

I went out last night to B&Q and have bought a few bits, a couple of small but strong looking generic loop-type brackets for the wall, some string and even a little bit of woven metal rope which is covered in plastic, so will see what seems to work best. I was thinking that whilst I'm there, I may well secure it with some kind of lock (a bit like a Kensington) just for the additional security, so will experiment today. Thanks very much for the advice :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom