1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secure Speakers To Floor?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by jpo, Jan 10, 2005.

1. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

First post.. Can't find anything via search. I have a pair of floor standing speakers (Eltax Chroma's) and a 20 month old son... BAD combination..

Is there anything out there that would enable me to SECURELY afix my floor standing speakers so that said 20 month old can't knock them over?

Also.. does anyone make/supply glass/perspex after market doors/shelf covers that will keep fingers away from 'buttons'! - Seemingly buttons are very exciting things for a 20 month old, even when it means he loses Cebebies!

Regards
    Peter

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You could bolt them to the floor but if that seems a little extreme try putting in some heavy objects such as bricks or broken paving slabs inside the cabinet. This should also improve the sound quality :thumbsup:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Putting in bricks and heavy objects isn't necessarily a good idea with small children poking around. We don't want them getting squashed by half a ton of rubble!

There are only really 2 ways of making speakers more rigid. Increase the base size by securing it to huge feet or increasing the weight at the base so that the centre of mass becomes practically on the floor. Obviously bolting your speakers to the floor covers both as the base is essentially the floor of your room with the mass of your house to hold it there. :)

Perhaps you could get a stonemason to tap some threaded holes into some marble or something that would enable you to screw the speakers to a block of stone that's a bit bigger than the base of the speaker. It wouldn't look too bad either, maybe even just drilling holes so that speaker spikes rest very deep and snug inside.

As far as protecting buttons goes there's not much you can do apart from get a lockable cabinet, this can cause problems with disc drives though if people use the remote but forget to open the doors! :)

4. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John

Excellent idea... I may even have some suitable stone knocking around!

Regards
    Peter

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    eviljohn2

I accept what your saying but adding a large mass to the inside base of a speaker should make it harder to push as the the centre of gravity should be a lot lower.

From experience one of the big problems with small children is with the speaker cones. Then there is the big delight of discovering jam in the CD player or fruit juice inside the amp. Aghhh, the memories are hard to erase.

7. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankfully, bar the TV and the speakers, I can corden everything else off... If I could resolve the speaker issue, I could relocate the DVD and Sky+ box from under the TV, which would just leave the TV..

Currently we use a "Baby Dan" play pen, which is a sectional construction which can be made square, hexagonal and, as it is now, built pretty much in a straight line, secured to the two opposite walls and used as a room divider. We take the two middle sections out when the adults are watching TV. We'ld like to arrive at an arrangment that allowed us to do this permenantly. The other alternative would be to replace the Eltax Chroma floor standers, either temporarilly or permenantly, with something that can be mounted on the wall.

All options are being considered!

Regards
    Peter

8. DIZZ

DIZZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had to sell my mission m74s speakers (top heavy floor standers) because they kept going over, not the kids but my mad staffy dog, the last time they hit the tv and now it has a green tinge to the picture

The kids once squeezed a tub of youghurt into back of the tv grill, bless them.

kids and hifi dont mix well.

9. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A couple of possibilities do spring to mind - I haven't tried any of them myself though ...

If you've got carpeted floors, could you drill a couple of holes through the carpet into the concrete/ floorboards below and tether the speakers to the floor this way? You'd have to find a way of attaching the tether to the speakers, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Alternatively, if you've got laminate floors (which you probably wouldn't want to drill through), then you could try using some strong plasitc suckers to attach a tether to?

Either way, the screws or suckers could be under the speaker and should be able to resist a 'knock' pretty well, particularly if you also load the base of the speaker with some extra weight as suggested above.

Or, if the speakers are close to a wall, you could tether the top of the speaker to a nearby wall. This should then prevent the speaker from toppling if it does get knocked. I did this with some sats that were mounted on stands, and it worked pretty well. My toddling son and his friends 'investigated' them a few times, but then just ignored them.

Balders.

10. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks

Thanks for the suggestions... Still under consideration... I may ultimately forgo the pleasures of Eltax Chroma's for a while and invest in cheap set of smaller speakers that can be fixed to imovable objects, like walls.. Crude but effective.. (You can pick up the Yamaha NSP-100 from RS for circa £80.) Would be a shame however as the new Yamaha RXV 650 is probably the best sound setup I've achieved to date with the Chroma's, even music doesn't sound that bad currently - Previously was always slightly muddy/basey.

Peter

11. claire_kerr

claire_kerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent all day searching for something to cover the buttons on my own TV, I have now registerred on this forum (is it about audio visual things?) so that I can answer your post.

Great Little Trading Company sell a perspex thing that attachs to your TV to stop little ankle biters like my 14 month son from pushing the buttons.

http://www.gltc.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=G5024&CatID=Product&language=en-GB

If the above link doesn't work, use the one below and search for "TV guard"

www.gltc.co.uk

Claire

12. jpo

jpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Claire, looks like a useful site.. Will check it out.

Peter