Secure One-Off Purchase Options

fluxo

Distinguished Member
I'd like to purchase an eBook online, but I'm not super familiar with the site and am not mad keen on entering in my card details. So I'm wondering, what are my secure payment options? The site accepts Visa/Mastercard/Eurocard.

I've read that, if you have an Apple card, you can generate one-time use card numbers, but Apple card isn't available in the UK (AFAIK).

Paypal, with their secure key (?), provide something similar, but, again, it doesn't appear to be offered in the UK. Actually, if the site accepted Paypal, I'd be more or less content to use that.

I considered Revolut, but during setup it asked for a selfie, which I found quite creepy, so I abandoned that. In any case, after an enormous amount of reading I couldn't really establish what I was letting myself in for with them: the terms and conditions extend infinitely beyond the visible horizon.

The site I wished to buy from, in case you're interested: epagine.fr. The book: Beckett's "Waiting for Godot" in the original French.

(There is, actually, another site that sells the same eBook sans DRM, and takes payment using Paypal, but they only sell to customers within the EU. All UK sellers of the book, as far as I can tell, apply hard DRM.)

Thank you!

fluxo

Distinguished Member
I did look into prepaid cards a while ago, but they were all provided by companies I’d never heard of.

I can’t really understand why my well-known high street bank doesn’t offer anything for secure online payment: it’s not obviously secure entering in persistent card details online, although I have done it at the sites of major companies that I’m familiar with (for want of better options).

fluxo

Distinguished Member
I’ve just chatted with my bank and they don’t offer single use card numbers.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Just pay by card. Your bank covers you for fraudulent transactions. Feels like you're worrying over nothing personally.

ParsnipSoup

Just pay by card. Your bank covers you for fraudulent transactions. Feels like you're worrying over nothing personally.
I wouldn't say nothing. As someone who has had to get a new card due to fraudulent use, it is a bit of pain to update any dependent web accounts eg amazon. Then it is at the back of your mind for a bit.
I'd just use another card to normal if I were that worried.

stblob

I have a separate bank account for all online transaction. I just transfer the required funds from my main account if and when needed. Plus now you can control the use via tha app, you can block most online transactions and even switch it off.

Miss Mandy

I use Revolut for transactions in other currencies and I have a separate bank account for my internet spending so that if I get a problem it doesn't affect my main account.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
That sounds interesting. Did you get the separate account at your existing bank or did you need to go to another bank? And also: can you set a hard limit so that it’s impossible to go overdrawn and incur unexpected charges?

Thanks!

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't say nothing.
OK, not totally nothing....but absolute minimal worry really. You've more chance of your card being skimmed in a restaurant or garage.

stblob

That sounds interesting. Did you get the separate account at your existing bank or did you need to go to another bank? And also: can you set a hard limit so that it’s impossible to go overdrawn and incur unexpected charges?

Thanks!
I use 2 different banks. Overdraft set to £0 for the one I use online. Use online banking and set the card for whats required. Card management.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
OK, not totally nothing....but absolute minimal worry really. You've more chance of your card being skimmed in a restaurant or garage.

It’s hard to quantify the risk, isn’t it?

The usual “enter your card details” payment method is inherently insecure.

In an age when online scams are seemingly out of control, I’d prefer to exercise some caution.

Miss Mandy

Thanks!

There no overdraft on my internet account so the transaction will only go through if the funds are there. Mine is with my existing bank, but that's because it was very quick to set up with them. I didn't need to go through any ID or security checks as I'd already got an account.

Last edited:

ParsnipSoup

I use googlepay for that.
If a site does not offer paypal or an established third party provider, I go elsewhere.
Once you have had the hassle of resolving it, you don't want it again. Maybe the OP has had that or knows someone who has.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Once you have had the hassle of resolving it, you don't want it again. Maybe the OP has had that or knows someone who has.
I've had the hassle. It was less than worrying about what card to use to shop with on a daily basis :)

Laureline

I used to have an American Express Card that I could just preload for such purposes. But they started to want quite a large monthly fee so I had to kill that. That's the problem with most of the preloaded Visa/Mastercard things the monthly fees tend to be quite extorinate

Paypal is my preferred option these days, but most sites that do want to scam you don't allow it

As I move a lot of money between various foreign accounts I use Transferwise and they offer a Debit Card which means you can't spend what you don't have in your Transferwise Account

Capital One in the US (I'm not sure in Europe) offer Virtual Card Numbers, quite a handy Browser Add-on it sees you're paying and offers to fill in the payment details with a one-off code

booyaka

What's the site - People here will usually sniff out whether it's dodgy or not

Andrue

Just pay by credit card. If something goes wrong it's not your money - you just ask your issuer to strike the items off the bill. You might need a new card issuing but it'll turn up in a day or so.

Don't use a debit card though. Yes, you can eventually get a refund but until that happens you're out of pocket and potentially your account could be drained. You might also struggle to get cash out if your debit card is cancelled.

But a CC is safe and only slightly inconvenient if something goes wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom