secure hdcp on/off - what does that mean?

pack82

Standard Member
hi when i turn on my 360 i get a message saying 'secure hdcp on' then about 20 seconds later it says 'secure hdcp off'
any help me to what this means? i cant use the streaming music thing as my xbox wont pick up my laptop - you think its to do with that?

P

PrettyGreen

HDCP is "High Definition Copy Protection" and is employed on HDMI to prevent illegal copying of copyrighted Hi-Def content. All HDMI enabled devices must have HDCP included or else hi-def material, such as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will not play via HDMI. All I can think is that you have an Elite. By default, the Elite has HDCP disabled, but if you use a HD-DVD drive with it, it turns HDCP on when protected material is detected. Is it possible this may be what's causing it?

pack82

Standard Member
I see thanks, come to think of it its when i have a dvd in the drive - yes i have an elite but not the hd dvd drive (yet!) so its nothing to worry about.

thanks for the post.

P

PrettyGreen

It only affects material with HDCP on it. Ordinary dvd's do not employ HDCP.

glenann

Not wanting to be particular, but we must get our acronyms right.... HDCP stands for "high-bandwidth digital-content protection". So there! :D
........and it means exactly the same as you said!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom