1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secure Digital write speeds

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by George74, Jan 9, 2004.

1. George74

George74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know about read/write speeds on SD cards and their relevance to real world application. I have just bought a Pentax 555 and started looking at SD cards and came across write speeds. The average spec is 1.2 - 2 MBPS, whereas some Panasonic, Simpletech and Lexar cards claim speeds of up to 10 MPBS. In fact Simpletech differentiate their high speed cards by labelling them with a PRO label.

Would they higher speed make an appreciable difference or are cameras only able to write at fixed speeds. I can imagine a difference when uploading to a PC but I'd like to know/understand the difference from the camera side of things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. gdickin2

gdickin2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read recently that there are a new range of 'faster' SD cards available which claim vastly increased read/write speeds, indeed Sandisk make some with the 'Ultra' label. The article also stated that the camera needed to be able to read/write at these increased speeds, it is not purely a function of the card alone. There are some cameras available today that will handle the cards (some of the Olympus for instance) but I am not sure of the whole range.
    Try a search on google or visit steves-digicams.com.

3. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    To be perfectly honest with you it all depends on your camera.

Compact Flash cards have the same variations in speed which is what I use on my Canon 10D. I have 2x 256MB CF cards that are juts standard Sandisk ones but I also have 1 256MB 40x speed CF card but there is virtually no difference in speed between them in general use.

The reason for this is that my camera like many many others has an internal buffer which the photos get stored in before being written to the card. On mky camera I can take several shots before this buffer is full up and the camera HAS to write them to the card before it can take another shot.

I have performed a few tests and when shooting in JPEG there is no difference in speed between any of the cards. When shooting in RAW mode taking one or two pictures at a time I cannot notice any real difference in speed, at least none that stops me from taking another shot when I need to.

The only time there is a speed difference is is I'm shooting RAW files and I fill up the buffer and have to wait for the camera to write them to the card but then the difference is only something like 5 seconds at the absolute most and more often then not its nearer 3 seconds. Although its fair to say that 3-5 seconds waiting for the camera to write to the card could mean you miss a crucial shot it has to be said that it is unlikely.

HTH

4. George74

George74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.