Secrets of the Superbrands Episode 1 Technology

Dee Dee

Established Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch this on BBC Three and what were your thoughts?

I thought it was quite interesting been a tech enthusiast myself and was a nice to see a technology programme other than Click on BBC (another series of the Virtual Revolution is desperatey needed though). Was also quite funny to watch with Alex Rileys comedic take on things on the big technology companies.

Last edited:
Yes I saw it and thought it was excellent, although the presenter was a bit irritating in a "kids presenter" kind of way.

Lots of great quotes "If Microsoft were a person they'd be old, shop at Tesco, try and act young and keep getting things wrong" etc.

Have been telling friends to watch it via iPlayer and it's universally met with praise.

Was OK, I too found the presenter a bit annoying, I kind of expected a more serious tone.

The Apple store opening happening made my stomach turn, puts me off buying anything (else) from them. ;)

I do get what both of you mean about Alex Riley been somewhat annoying but for me it was mainly for his non-understanding and novice tone of many technology concepts.

He did mange to break down the 'Apple following' quite well as from a perspective it is all quite ridiculous just for products and a company even though I am a fan of what they make.

Last edited:
Quite enjoyed it, however, I also thought the presenter seemed slightly irritating. Just watched the second episode and he confirmed it. Doubt I will watch the third.

I enjoyed the second one more than the first, perhaps because my relative ignorance of the appeal of designer fashion made my position closer to that portrayed by the presenter.

The whole thing is too jokey (but not funny) for me but I'll probably watch the third anyway.

Second episode I have as of yet to still view. Although I think it was mainly because of the technology aspect of the first episode as to why I was drawn to watching it as it seemed interesting.

It was rubbish. Annoying presenter and why even mention HD-DVD when is died 2 or more years ago.

nwgarratt said:
It was rubbish. Annoying presenter and why even mention HD-DVD when is died 2 or more years ago.

They only included that to show how Blu ray came about and the format war that unfolded as to which manufacturer and their platform became the dominant format choice.

They only included that to show how Blu ray came about and the format war that unfolded as to which manufacturer and their platform became the dominant format choice.

Which they didn't need to show. How many people outside of AV stuff even know about it. They could have just said PS3 has a blu ray drive and thats it.

I thought it was a repeat when I saw that.

nwgarratt said:
Which they didn't need to show. How many people outside of AV stuff even know about it. They could have just said PS3 has a blu ray drive and thats it.

Well obviously the programme isn't a technology exclusive show, due to the other industry brands they show in other episodes so not everyone watching it will have prior or vast knowledge of technology events or formats. Plus the fact that the theme of the show was about the presenter himself setting out to be able to understand more due to his 'limited' knowledge shows they will have to do a bit of explaining on history of different technologies.

But I think your missing the point of them just showing the timeline of how we got to the current generation optical disc/media format and format wars in general as then you may as well state the inclusion of VHS vs Betamax and others that were included.

Just saying.

Chunders said:
Was OK, I too found the presenter a bit annoying, I kind of expected a more serious tone.

The Apple store opening happening made my stomach turn, puts me off buying anything (else) from them. ;)

A mate of mine queued up for several hours for that store opening just so he could get one of the exclusive t-shirts they gave away to first five hundred people through the door. Didn't see him on the clip they showed!

Alex Riley does have a very strange presenting style!

nwgarratt said:

I thought that was very valid to show that, to show that Sony were losing money on each PS3 they sold, so that they could gain market share with blu-ray - making their investment back by selling the "software" and licensing of blu-ray to other manufacturers.

An interesting tactic after they lost the first major format war with Betamax.

I thought that was very valid to show that, to show that Sony were losing money on each PS3 they sold, so that they could gain market share with blu-ray - making their investment back by selling the "software" and licensing of blu-ray to other manufacturers.

An interesting tactic after they lost the first major format war with Betamax.

I agree the PS 3 was born during the a HD format war and helped them win it. Sony's willingness to do what it takes to win again had again to placed in the context of the vhs /betamax battle, to show sony was willing do what it considered necessary to win this time.

blaster9999 said:
I agree the PS 3 was born during the a HD format war and helped them win it. Sony's willingness to do what it takes to win again had again to placed in the context of the vhs /betamax battle, to show sony was willing do what it considered necessary to win this time.

I still think HD-DVD could've had more of a chance if Microsoft had an Xbox 360 model with an integrated HD-DVD drive as opposed to an expensive and cumbersome external one (which I still ended up buying). :S

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom