1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secrets of Home Theater review Velodyne CHT-15R

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ian J, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In December 2002 John E Johnson reviewed what was then the base model in the SVS range, being the $549 25-31 PCi here. He expressed his amazement at the low levels of distortion produced saying "Even at 20 Hz, which is a killer for many subwoofers, the SVS only produced 3.37% THD, at 100 dB, 8" from the port." He also reported THD figures of only 1.84% at 31.5Hz again at 100dB, 8" from the port.

In the current edition of the same journal, the same person has reviewed the the Velodyne DLS-5000R here. This is the Chinese built $999 sub that sells in the UK as the CHT-15R and although it has all of the bells and whistles including digital eq it still can't touch the much cheaper SVS in terms of distortion. Where the SVS turned in THD figures at 100db of 3.37% at 20Hz the state of the art Velodyne at twice the price produced nearly six times as much distortion at 20% and that was measured even further away at 15". The THD measurement at 25Hz was still high at 15.24% and it was only at 31.5Hz that the Velodyne began to get close to the figures produced by the SVS.

It's no wonder that SVS has such a huge fan club

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    SVS make good subwoofers, no doubt about it. I have heard a few and have been impressed at the prformance they offer for the money.

But the reviewer also said -

"I have never been surprised at the high quality of Velodyne subwoofers, because I have listened to so many. What does surprise me here, is that the performance is so good at $799 street price. Even without the digital EQ, this is still a great subwoofer, but with the digital EQ modes, it is also a lot of fun".

So Velodyne also make good subs! And when you factor in SVS shipping cost and discount on the Velo then the price difference becomes very small.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The SVS 25-31 PCi probably costs £475 delivered to your front door with all taxes paid whereas the Velodyne CHT-15R has a UK RRP of £795 so even allowing for a 15% discount it will still be £200 more expensive.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I was comparing the US price as per your first post.

In terms of UK price the SVS is clearly cheaper. The appointment of a local SVS distributor may change that I guess. Hopefully not by too much.

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Ian, you're comparing figures measured from different distances which doesn't seem that useful to me. Obviously the SVS had an easier task of producing 100dB at 8" than the Velodyne did at 15". If the SVS was measured at 15", the amp and driver would have to work harder to produce 100dB and distortion would have been higher.

There're just too many variables to make any comparison valid. The SVS was measured 8" from the port. The Velodyne was measured 15" away from the center of the driver. Were the test equipment/software the same? Were the subwoofers tested in the same room? And at the same location? Or outdoors like when he tested the SVS B4 Plus?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I hear what you say Godfather but if an acknowledged expert with no vested interest apart from producing a scrupulously accurate review for his well respected magazine can't manage to test two subwoofers in a similar manner with similar equipment and produce meaningful results it's time that we all gave up.

He may have tested one from a distance of 8" whilst the other was a huge 15" away but we aren't talking about small differences in distortion as they are staggeringly large. The budget SVS produced an inaudible 3.37% at 20Hz whilst all things being almost equal the more expensive Velodyne CHT-15R produced six times the amount of distortion at sub bass levels and that amount will definately be audible.

There is no doubt that the DD and previously the HGS ranges were fine subs but I think that Velodyne are rather hoping that the much inferior CHT range will benefit from "marketing by association" in much the same way as Fiat owners are almost driving Ferraris.

7. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Fixed! :D

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: