1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secrets - DV29 deinterlacer not as good as DV27A

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cybersoga, Dec 21, 2004.

1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Link to Secrets DVD Benchmark Dec 04

Given the choice, i'd rather have analogue output with a good deinterlacer (27A) than digital output with an avarage/below average deinterlacer (DV29).

*edit* forgot to mention, if your intention is to use a sepeate scaler, the DV29 would be a better option because it can pass Digital YCbCr 4:2:2 via HDMI - perhaps that's what Arcam were thinking?

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    That's the one point neatly skipped around in this month's issue of HiFi Choice.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    DVD Benchmark is a very fair review IMO.

When this model was announced the removal of Silicon Image (major cost saving) but with inclusion of HDMI (can't cost as much as SiI504) I was amazed that price was same as DV27A.

The only reason I would consider this player would be if I was outputting the interlaced signal from MPEG decoder to a dedicated external deinterlacer/scaler as cybersoga mentioned; as a high-end "prog-scan" player to use the Vaddis 5 for MPEG decoding and deinterlacing would put me off purchasing because plenty of other players in the same price range have much better deinterlacing capabilities.

StooMonster