Secret Santa 2017

Great - thanks all.

I haven't been visiting this page for a while and thought I'd missed something!

Looking forward to it again this year - at least 2 of my previous gifts still get regular, almost daily use! :beer:

Perhaps we need a little reminder for those yet to signup in Elfster?

Some may think they have, but haven’t and are sitting there in ignorant bliss?

Name and shame! :smashin:

Perhaps we need a little reminder for those yet to signup in Elfster?

Some may think they have, but haven’t and are sitting there in ignorant bliss?

Name and shame! :smashin:
That was me , I didn't realise you had to RSVP via elfster !!!

Sorry elfster sets the maximum automatically. As per previous posts £10 minimum.

I suppose it's in their interests to generate as many sales as possible but should be adjustable by the users ....

20171116_170549-1.jpg

First Christmas market yesterday at York. Don't forget the Elfster page only 30 peeps attached to the group

In!!

As this is my first AVForums Secret Santa could I ask for a bit of guidance here please?

I know the minimum spend is set at £10 and the maximum at £100 (which I think is automatically set by Elfster) but what is a realistic amount to spend? What are everybody’s realistic expectations?

I can’t afford the £100 (and had no intention of spending that amount anyway) but do think spending in the region of £25 is perfectly reasonable (maybe even a few pounds more if I can send it via amazon prime). Am I completely off the mark here or do others think that I’m in the right ballpark amount? I know we don’t need to spend more than a tenner but for a few pounds more it’s quite likely that a decent present is quite possible without breaking the bank.

Just wondering what others point of view on the (understandably difficult) subject is!

Thanks

Andy :suicide:

I had fun getting bits and bobs didn't really worry about the price! But the best bit was not knowing and hoping that your recipient liked what you got them.. it's just good fun don't worry to much..

@fubar925 I totally get it about the fun part and I certainly don’t give to receive...I just don’t want to feel I shortchanged anyone.

Andy :facepalm:

For the first couple of years when I was still at uni I would generally only spend around £10-£15 but would always try and get something that was along the lines of what they suggested they might like. Having the option of Amazon and Prime does make it a shade easier but I'll be honest, there's something great about having an actual present arrive that is all wrapped up and placed under the tree.

Some of the guys here do spend quite obviously more than the £10, I've been lucky enough to have received presents that have had loads of thought gone into them and still have pride of place on my shelves.

Last year (and hopefully this year) I will be looking at spending more than the £10. Not masses as I don't have loads but I probably put more time, care and attention into my Secret Santa gifts than I do most others. I do try and maybe get things that people wouldn't ordinarily buy for themselves or something maybe a bit different. Makes for a more entertaining gift.

Thought that counts - spend what you want. I enjoy "stalking" my recipient and I don't mind spending £15/£25 on them. But at the end of the day something that has clearly been thought out is worth a lot.

@jsniper You make some good points in your reply especially the bit about having a properly gift wrapped present under the tree...many thanks :smashin:

@booyaka Yes, totally agree...it IS the thought that counts :thumbsup:

Cheers guys

Andy :thumbsup:

Yeah, its just an observation that I think adds an extra element of excitement but sometimes it may not be feasible for that to happen. I also know that there are people who have taken part before that when a package has arrived, their partners have opened it up and wrapped it. It seems that often times participant's SO's get in the spirit of it. My good lady has been known to chunter about the amount of people we have to buy for but hasn't moaned about this one for a long-time as she appreciates that we do all generally put a lot into it.

I think the idea of thought is the most important thing with this. Ultimately, if the minimum spend has been met and you're confident you've got your recipient a decent gift, what more can they expect?

It's totally about the receiving something totally unknown. Last year I received gifts that must have cost a bomb. I ended up spending around £35 but it was worth it!!!

Can't wait to see what this year brings!!

^^ Just to add to what you’ve already outlined...my wife said that if someone sends me a present from amazon etc. She will put it in a box and wrap it so that I can’t guess what it is...bless her!

Andy :(:laugh:

Can we start a countdown to the start of stalking, sorry draw:clap:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom