Secondhand Value of my AV192R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sijones, Sep 17, 2007.

Tags:
  1. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi,

Thinly disguised link to off-site sale removed...please see the trading rules.

I'm reasonably happy on putting a secondhand price on my 250x3R and 100x5R but am unsure what price to put on my AV192R. The spec is below.

Silver AV192R (7.1) with the following options:
    Front panel flap and connections
    RS232/IR TX controller
    VSM2048 scaler
    PSM192
    HDTV board
    RGB switcher
    DAB module
    5.1 Bypass
    HDCD
    Dobly PLIIx

What price do you think I should advertise it at?

Many thanks,

Steve

2. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    steve

as i cannot find your 100x5 can i ask how much and what colour ?

thanks

3. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Adrian,

I haven't put anything up for sale yet. I will be selling the AV192R first and once that has sold I will advertise the amps. All are silver.

Regards,

Steve

4. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    wish i had enough spare pennies to buy the 192r without my other half noticing:D

5. scoobysti

scoobysti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    it would be very hard to put a price on the 192 because they just dont come up for sale :rolleyes:
    think the last one i saw was around the 3500 mark, not too sure of the spec tho.
    problem is also the latest spec recievers are comming out very well specced and reasonably priced, giving you dts-hd and DD hd, makes the AV192/AV32 a bit dated now :rolleyes:

6. aublumberg

aublumberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Steve,

I would be keen to learn what you think of getting (or in fact got) for your unit as I am also considering to sell mine, in fact the whole set due to relocation ...

- AV192R (most options, except scaler)
    - DVD32R (top loader)
    - 5 x 250MR (2 front, 1 centre, 2 rear)
    - 250x3R (bi-amping front + centre)
    - all in black colour
    - original TAG XLR balanced interconnects (AV192R <-> all amps)

Thanks,
    Andre.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    If you should decide to sell,please be aware of the trading rules here...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/view.php?pg=trading_rules

All AVForums ads MUST be placed there.

If you search the TAG and trading forums,you should be able to get a feel for recent and historical prices,plus keeping an eye on the usual auction areas can be helpful.

8. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sadly I dont think its worth selling tag stuff now considering there are much superior formats and processors around! Mine will probably end up in my son's room....

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think thats a bit extreme perhaps in the case of more recent DP models but I do agrre that the earlier ones are now looking a bit long in the tooth.

Still,thats a testament to how right the idea was several years ago,and whilst there are plenty of new formats,there is still a lot of time needed for them to shake themselves out,and for a few to become dominant players,before I would change,and a serious need for RoomEQ enabled processors.

10. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well the new Denon - with HD sound processsing, HDMI switching, HD players for around 1/5 of the DVD32R price AND room correction (rumour) seems like a pretty compelling proposition to me! Even Udo is going HD...

AND WIFI!

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I do confess to not having heard the new Denon,and I know that earlier versions have been very easy to set up,and dont require a laptop etc,but i dont think that the overall sound quality in AV mode,and certainly not in stereo,came close.

HD players though...thats an area which has moved very quickly in terms of prices and specs,as with anything new,but the format "war" is anything but over,and new software revisions are coming out regularly,not all of which are backwardly compatible.

As always,I will wait for the dust to settle.

12. benzol

benzol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm not so sure if it makes any sense to abandon the current Processors (yes, incl. TAG). If you have a read through this very interesting thread in this very forums it makes someone think about the HQ-HD sound (Link)

In the case the article is all correct, I'm getting more and more the impression that the visual benefits is some degree of improvement (I like my HD pictures anyway), but the part with the (lossless) sound is another chapter. So if the interactive (see article) feature basically defunct the HQ-sound processing in the modern processors to come, I do not see the point for getting rid of my dualsharc.
    I get the feeling that the marketing and IPR departments are pissing everyone off. So where is the advantage then to buy a new processor? The hardware vendors say: &#8220;Oh, well you get the lossless sound!". Hmm, now it seems that the studios are just taking this away with going for interactive discs, so the benefits of new hardware will be very slim (despite them manufacturers telling us otherwise).

Cheers

Benzol

PS: Sorry for being off topic.

13. babaroga

babaroga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hmm, with new HD sound, how much better the explosion is going to sound or some sobbing cry from some woman (in case of my wife's movies)....I do agree on picture quality though.

14. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, whilst I added HD-DVD as yet another new source, I have no intention to change any other item down the chain. There is no doubt that HD video is better than SD, but other improvements, such as those offered by Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, ... might rather exist on paper than in reality. Please let's not forget that influences of the room or even between speakers are huge in comparison.

During the development of the DVD32 I quickly learnt that new sound (and video) formats are rarely driven by anything else than selling yet another license (there is nothing wrong with that).

There is still potential for significant improvement in picture quality (well beyond HD), but there is - in my opinion - very litte room beyond well reproduced sound from a well recorded CD. Whilst I admit it was initially difficult to reproduce music recorded on CD due to the way the data is stored and the rather low sampling rate, I is worth mentioning that both issues have been removed by the DVD.

There are issues which will drive the new technology, but I assume it is rather convenience (HDMI is a single connection for sound, video and remote control) and better copy protection.

Am I cynical? I don't think so - maybe one day I write down what I experienced challanging experts' capabilities using objective testing.

Best regards

Udo

15. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Look forward to reading that Udo :thumbsup::D

16. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'll second that!

17. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My local garage has an immaculate BMW 7 series on a 55 plate for £17K., a third of the original price, but still a beautiful car. Similarly the AV192R with scaler represents an intitial investment, if bought new, of £16k. I doubt whether you would get £5k for it today. I bitterly regret the demise of TagMclaren, as I am sure that they would have updated the design, to keep pace with current advances, however like the BMW they are still excellent products. Things like amplifiers do not really date, my TAG amps have not only been very reliable, but they also give a very good performance, and their ability to work seamlessly with the AV192R, T32R, DVD32R through the TAG I/C's, would I am sure, be missed with lesser equipment. As long as IAG continues to offer maintainance backup, I shall be hanging on to mine.

18. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Barry

Couldn't agree with you more :thumbsup:

The 250x3R and 100x5R (and variants) were and still are superb power amps and should last a very long time.

Bryston offer a 20 year guarantee and because of their superb build quality should last 20 years...at least. IMHO the TAG's are as good as the Bryston's in build quality and sound quality

19. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, but when I pop a channel in the Bryston, its back with me in a week and it costs me only the one-way shipping costs - and believe me, these costs are less than half what TAG McLaren Audio used to charge for handling and shipping.

20. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You say that as if popping a channel in the Bryston (or Tags) is a regular occurrence that happens to you at least half a dozen time a year. I must not be driving my system hard enough.

Yan

21. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not that many times but I've done three since 2001. Its not even the same channel each time but they just fix it without grumbling and send it back ASAP. They have warned that if it happens again, they'll have to dig deeper for a systemic problem that they just haven't managed to find yet, and that if they have to do that, it'll take a bit longer to get back to me. If they still can't find the cause, they'll upgrade it. Sounds very fair to me.

22. benzol

benzol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    For the record.

The AV192 that went today on E***y made it to &#8364;4290.60 (just about £3000).

Quite a bargain, even though it was not fully loaded:

* RGBS Switcher / RGB PSN VSN Interface
    * Front Inputs plus flap
    * PSN Interface
    * XLR Balanced Outputs for 7.1 channels
    * RS 232 IR /TX Controller
    * Video Power Supply
    * Pro Logix IIx
    * FM Tuner
    * DAB Tuner
    * TAG McLaren Room Equilisation TMREQ

Cheers

Benzol

23. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi Benzol,
    nothing to add, apart from the fact that this guy sold this AV192R several times already, obviously each time to himself, same as today :D

24. benzol

benzol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks Miron, didn't knew that, he (wusoldier) must like paying out fees to Ebay then :)

Cheers

Benzol

25. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671

Still trying to sell it?...I've lost count of the times this guy has had this machine up for sale....very odd.

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

Join the club, I've written stuff in trade journals saying roughly the same thing, in fact I'd go a bit further, as with decent processing and a well filmed (captured) source, a DVD or similar SD broadcast ain't a million miles away from anything HD-DVD or Blu-ray can offer..... Of course if you have an average Display or amp etc. then the differences can be more obvious but with quality stuff (displays or amps/speakers etc.) the differences are very subtle or in simple terms not worth chucking out existing kit to upgrade.... I can see more and more desparate marking methods to get people's interest and where desparation lies, honesty normally goes out the window.... Once people have spent the money they rarely say they don't notice a difference regardless if there is one......;)

Copy protection is the main driver behind all the latest efforts IMHO....