• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

secondhand galaxy s2 problems

michael 38

just bought a unlocked second hand galaxy s2 a couple of problems it has a couple of vodaphone apps on i cant get rid of (360 shop + 360 updates?.

it gets a signal perfectly but dosnt come up with a network name at the top next to the signal bar ?.

and its running an old version of firmware but when i try to update it it says there are no newer versions ? available any help would be appriciated

jerryq7777

My HTC sensation doesnt come up with the network name either in the status bar maybe its an android thing.
If your phone is from vodafone you will have to wait for them to release the updated software so they can install the voda rubbish like 360.

Toshman

My S2 doesn't display my carrier (O2) so I think this is normal.

Have you tried asking your carrier if they can unlock it for you?

michael 38

thanks for answers its unlocked allready just dosent come up with carrier name (tesco ) a work mate has offered to route it for me and put on samsungs latest firmware do you think this will cause more problems than it will solve ?

D

Deleted member 45086

thanks for answers its unlocked allready just dosent come up with carrier name (tesco ) a work mate has offered to route it for me and put on samsungs latest firmware do you think this will cause more problems than it will solve ?

You don't need to root it Michael to put the latest Samsung firmware on.

Download the latest 2.3.5 firmware and install it using Odin software.

This will remove all branding and it will be Samsung generic.

I have done this with my son's O2 GS2 and now it has no O2 startup etc.

Read on from post 219 and it will give you the details of what to do.

Do this at your own risk, but I am not aware of any mishaps of anyone ballsing it up.

neuty

D

Deleted member 45086

also try the two pages before 219 in the thread neuty suggested.
A link to all the official firmwares and a guide can be found http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

you will just want to read "flashing a firmware with odin" and pick a firmware from the official list.

Cheers rob,

I never scanned through that far back.

You have probably linked to what I was looking for.

@michael.

Flashing firmware with Odin is very simple.

neuty

michael 38

hi have found the odin software and down loaded it had a look at the xda website but it had a big list of firmware had a look at the 2.3.5 software but im not sure what to download and what to do with it when i have as i dont want to brick the phone

D

Deleted member 45086

hi have found the odin software and down loaded it had a look at the xda website but it had a big list of firmware had a look at the 2.3.5 software but im not sure what to download and what to do with it when i have as i dont want to brick the phone

http://www.avforums.com/forums/15874941-post224.html

Download this file linked by Uridium. He has used this one himself.

Follow the guide on XDA Flashing Firmware With Odin from 1 to 8, and your laughing.

All done.

Generic 2.3.5 Samsung Galaxy SII.

neuty

rob_c

The guide is excellent, you wont brick if you follow it.
The potential to brick is if you start ticking "re-partition" and "clear efs" in odin. Just dont touch anything in it, other than to load the firmware.

rob_c

I ve just had a quick look and they seem to be 7z archive files. you will need 7z http://www.7-zip.org/ or winrar to extract them, to get the files you want to load in odin. Just a guess wtihout downloading the files again.

Toshman

michael 38 said:
have managed to download the firmware and unzip the file but none bears any resembalance to the 3 wanted by odin ?

Some firmware only comes as one file, the instructions for the firmware should tell you where to put it. If your not sure try a different firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom