• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Secondary Audio On/Audio Re-encoding?

toodeep

My query is in relation to another thread/blog in which I mourn the passing of my old BD player, but which thankfully has now slipped far down...

What does the Secondary Audio On/Audio Re-encoding setting on players potentially of interest to me (Panasonic DMP-BDT220, Onkyo BD-SP309 & Pioneer BDP150, for example), and likely many others, actually do?

I understand that this enables the mixing of the primary and other soundtracks, but what is output when I enable the setting and select only the primary audio track to listen to? Will I get the DD or DTS renditions over non-HDMI outputs of all HD audio including the PCM-only soundtracks on some BDs? This is what I desire given my amp. (Of course this won't be HD audio, just the best possible in the circumstances.) Samsung & LG players do seem explicitly to offer such generic primary audio re-encoding, but I'm wondering if the feature is more common but poorly documented.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom