Second TV in conservatory

elgreco77

Standard Member
Reaction score
We're going to get a new tv for the conservatory. I want one that has freeview. I'm not sure what to do for an aerial. We have Virgin cable in the lounge. I'm not sure whether to split this and run a cable across both rooms, use an indoor aerial and booster or put a seperate aerial on the roof (obviously the dearest option). Is it possible to get a good picture with an indoor aerial and signal booster? I understand that ours is a good reception area.
Thanks

Read the FAQ at the top of the page.

Come back with mores specific questions and where you live.

I find the trade view of Digital UK - Postcode checker is the most reliable Freeview prediction tool, as Wolfbane is rather too pessimistic.

You can't split a Virgin cable to give a Freeview signal to another TV.... they will supply a second cable receiver if you are willing to pay.

Thanks Rodders. I've checked the freeview and we're ok in our area. We've been switched to digital. I just really need to know if there are any indoor aerials that provide a good reception or whether I need to go for a roof aerial.
The cable connection is at the front and the conservatory at the rear so I don't want to get Virgin involved.
I've looked at the FAQs but couldn't find anything relevant.
Thanks

I just really need to know if there are any indoor aerials that provide a good reception or whether I need to go for a roof aerial.

Indoor aerials are always very strongly recommended against.
The results are totally unpredictable and unreliable.

If you have the option of a roof aerial, then go for that without a second thought.

You looked but did not see http://www.avforums.com/forums/9021292-post15.html

I would also strongly advise against set top aerials. They usually give inconsistent results and may need moving for each multiplex.

However if you have a favourable view to the transmitter (ideally being able to see the transmitting antenna from the location you propose to put the aerial) you might be lucky. Try to get it on 'sale or return' to minimise your costs.

Thanks for the help. Sorted now. I went for the LG 32ELE4900 £300 from Currys. A new rooftop aerial cost £55 fitted and I'm well pleased with the picture.
Cheers

Local company, recommended to me. Gave me a quote without seeing the job. Not easy to get on the roof because of the conservatory but no extra charge. Well pleased

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom