Second TV Dining Room Between £600-£800

ristac

We have a 55” LG C8 OLED in the living room.

We are looking for a second TV for the dining room. It won’t be the main TV and the dining room is light but no direct sunlight until late in the day but there won’t be any evening viewing on it.

Viewing angle won’t be an issue, We’ll be directly in front I do like deep blacks but like I said, no evening viewing so no big movie watching.

I like sport Football, Rugby, F1 deep colours are important and I hate motion blur.

Ideally I’d like 55” but I’d consider smaller, do I really need HDR for a second TV source will be Sky Q or Netflix. I’ve no need for lots of HDMI ports.

Budget is under £800 ideally nearer to £600 but I can stretch. Sound isn’t going to be important, please feel free to throw some suggestions at me.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony 49 or 55xh9505

vickster

Distinguished Member
You should be able to find the 49” for around 800.
See if Richer Sounds will do a price beat on this

Dodgexander

You'll get HDR on the TV whether you like it or not, but the main difference between TVs that cope with glare better and TVs that don't is brightness, and that comes hand in hand with HDR picture quality.

So whilst its probably a waste getting a TV like the Sony XH9505 for a dining room, it is the best option for fighting glare, whilst also buying a TV with good motion for sport.

Alternatives would be TVs:
Hisense U8Q - Like the XH9505 very bright, but 55" and up only. Last I checked was only 500 at Join the club & start saving! | Costco UK
Samsung Q80/Q85T - At <55" 60hz panels, so motion won't be great at this size both TVs at 49" also lack the better anti glare filter. These two can't get as bright as the U8Q or XH9505 but at 55" and up the Q85T does have good anti glare but the Q80T lacks the better anti glare at all sizes. People do tend to prefer motion on Sony over Samsung though.
50/55 QN90A - Newly released and hard to recommend at the moment since its so expensive, but may be a better TV than all of the other options above.
55 QN85A - Not as good but a little cheaper, hard to recommend again due to prices of newly released models.

If you're looking to be sensible with the budget:
Hisense U7Q - Should be available for less than 400, for SDR should be plenty bright.
Sony XH9005 - Similar to the U7Q, but with better motion.

ristac

You'll get HDR on the TV whether you like it or not, but the main difference between TVs that cope with glare better and TVs that don't is brightness, and that comes hand in hand with HDR picture quality.

So whilst its probably a waste getting a TV like the Sony XH9505 for a dining room, it is the best option for fighting glare, whilst also buying a TV with good motion for sport.

Alternatives would be TVs:
Hisense U8Q - Like the XH9505 very bright, but 55" and up only. Last I checked was only 500 at Join the club & start saving! | Costco UK
Samsung Q80/Q85T - At <55" 60hz panels, so motion won't be great at this size both TVs at 49" also lack the better anti glare filter. These two can't get as bright as the U8Q or XH9505 but at 55" and up the Q85T does have good anti glare but the Q80T lacks the better anti glare at all sizes. People do tend to prefer motion on Sony over Samsung though.
50/55 QN90A - Newly released and hard to recommend at the moment since its so expensive, but may be a better TV than all of the other options above.
55 QN85A - Not as good but a little cheaper, hard to recommend again due to prices of newly released models.

If you're looking to be sensible with the budget:
Hisense U7Q - Should be available for less than 400, for SDR should be plenty bright.
Sony XH9005 - Similar to the U7Q, but with better motion.
Thank you, much appreciated

achris

If your still looking the 55" KD55XH9505 has £200 off code now at John Lewis (changed from £100 last night) - down to £798 - i've just grabbed one!

Last edited:

ristac

If your still looking the 55" KD55XH9505 has £200 off code now at John Lewis (changed from £100 last night) - down to £798 - i've just grabbed one!
Hi Mate

Many thanks for this, I had already decided to take the plunge on one from Richer Sounds who were matching another price promise for £848 (with delivery expected tomorrow). I called them today and they said they have been receiving a few calls regarding this JL offer and without any hassle they beat it by another £10 and are issuing me a refund for the difference so I have gone from a stretched over budget £848 to a within budget £788 so I am very happy

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom