1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second thoughts - do I go for a non-tuner 42"??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by strees, Aug 13, 2005.

1. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My requirements:-

Need to get existing TV off the floor to create space (baby creates LOT of mess :) ). Looking at plasma. Not sure if budget can stretch of a 42" Panasonic 500, so have been looking at the 37" instead.

I don't have sky, nor do I intend to. So I question whether I will really need HDTV or notice the difference (existing DVD player does not (I don't think) have HD output.

I have seen a lot of panasonic (and other make) 42" plasma's for £999. These are without tuners or speakers. I have a sony DVB desktop with optical out and a Sony surround sound system. The DVB has scart out.

So ... could I buy a £999 special, buy a Scart board (or two - one for the DVD player also) and have a 42" package for significantly less than the 500?? Using the DVB as a tuner, connecting it via the scart.

Is that how it works ... or is there something else that I am missing?

2. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good to me ;)

3. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay ... I have read the rather long thread on the PWD8/PHD8.

I am getting around the the thought that a panel is better than a TV. I am however confused as to what I would need.

I have:-

Sony freeview box
    Sony surround sound system
    JVC DVD (can replace with different DVD if needed)

If I were to buy the PWD8 what would I require to connect these devices? The Surround can run straight off the freeview via optical, so that doesn't need to connect to the panel. The only things that need to connect are the freeview (to be used as a tuner is this correct, ie I don't need anything else) and the DVD player.

I have seen talk of the i-Scan ... what is this and what does it do/benefit?

I went into Curry's to buy a Viega, now I am thoroughly confused (but have permission off SWMBO to buy :D )

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Strees,

If you don't have Sky, don't want Sky, then basically forget HD unless you want to replace your DVD player next year with a Blu Ray / HD DVD player. Existing DVDs aren't HD.

The only possible reason to look at an HD rather than a SD panel is that the HD ones do produce a significantly better picture even with SD sources than the SD panels do. If you are on a tight budget my advice would be to go for the SD panel.

Scalers such as the iScan HD make a big difference to the picture quality provided they are set up properly. The Lumagens that I recommend have the ability to process the incoming signal and scale / manipulate that signal to deliver it to the panel in the optimum way.

If you don't go down the scaler route, and none of the good ones are cheap, you are (probably) looking at J S Tech converters to get the best out of the PWD8. "Probably" because there is a new scart board for the PW8 range and I haven't had a chance to test it yet. The previous version gave a decidedly "soft" picture and the J S Tech solution was better.

So the solutions:

Freeview (yes as the tuner) into the PW8 either via a scart board (if it is better than the previous ones) or via a J S Technology Rgb to VGA converter into the VGA socket on the panel or via a RGB to component converter for which you will need a component input card for the plasma.

DVD depends on what outputs it has. If component, then again you need a component input board (and a component controller if you elect to use component for Freeview). If it only outputs RGB on scart then either direct to a scart input board or via a converter and into the panel VGA or component.

Final point to consider - is picture in picture / picture and picture important to you? Personally I never use either but some folk do and if you send all your signals in through just one port you lose this function.

5. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If PIP/PAP is important, and one has a panel, can you split a tv source signal and run it into the panel into 2 inputs and then get PIP? Is this a very expensive option?

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hmmm, I'd suggest anyone check this out for themselves before believing this statement.

There's a lot of evidence around that suggests that the more complex upconversion required to rescale 720x576 to 1024x768 (HD) instead of 852x480 (SD) produces an inferior image - maybe with Panasonics PHD panels it's different.

Now I'm not saying don't buy an HD screen - only that you should not be surprised to see some awfull looking TV images from FreeView or SKY SD sources. And of course HD sources when available will look wonderful!

The issue is even more relevant when considering FreeView sources - some of which (ITV News, ITV2 etc) now transmit at 544x576 instead of 720x576.

I have seen the horrendous results of viewing such FreeView sources on both Samsung HD panels and Panasonic HD Vieras.

Gussie :)

7. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +652
    quote from gussie:
    'Now I'm not saying don't buy an HD screen - only that you should not be surprised to see some awfull looking TV images from FreeView or SKY SD sources'

These sorts of comments could confuse potential buyers,it certainly isn't the case on the PV500 Sky/Freeview both look superb.

Strees, your first post suggested you were on a budget but then you suggest a PWD8/PHD8 with scaler.What sort of budget are you looking at.

You mention your baby so I'm presumimg your partner and the baby (In a couple of years) will be using the plasma.What does your wife/girlfriend think about it.I would have preferred to get a panel but as a married father with two kids common sense prevailed and I thought having to switch on surround systems etc would cause too much hassle from the family so I went with the PV500.

I've got a surround system and use that when I have the TV to myself but the rest of the family can use it as a normal TV which is great.

I'd suggest you either get a PE50 or a PV500 if your budget can stretch to it you then have the best of both worlds.The PE is a SD screen and the PV500 is a HD screen.

Check for prices and I think you'll find there isn't much in the £999 screen you mentioned and the PE50.Remember you have to add scart terminal boards and wall bracket to the panel, the PE50WAL has 3 scarts and component inputs, plus the wall bracket is included.

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Darren,

To get PIP / PAP from 2 broadcast channels you will need two tuners and the input boards or converters to connect them.

Gussie,

As PW7 / PW8 and PHD7 / PHD8 was being discussed I stand by my statement. The PHD7 looks significantly better than the PWD7 with SD material, notably a significant reduction in false contouring.