1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

second skyt box quandry

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jimbob2, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jimbob2

jimbob2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a bit of advice here guys.

My girlfriends folks moved to France 18months ago - they took their sky dish and digibox with them, and the local tv guy aligned the ariel, giving them sky tv in France. I believe this is slightly naighty though.

They have all the sky correspondance sent to my place in the uK, so they get updates/magazines/decoder cards sent here as and when - their subscription comes from a UK bank account they keep running.

My question is as follows. I do not have sky at present - i used to have ITV digital (lol), and now want my footy and films back. I understand that as a sky subscriber, i can order a second card and box, pay an extra £12 per month and get all the channels subscribed to on the card. Can I get away with sticking up a dish, ordering the second card and getting myself some cheap sky tv, or am i pushing my luck?

I've been told that a quad lmb is required - as i don't have a dish anyway, could i just buy one from ebay and put it up, without risking the subscription my girlfriends folks have?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    OK, first of all what you are doing is naughty but I don't think illegal but if the subscription etc is all registered now to your address then you won't qualify for a subsidised installation which starting from £10 is a snip.
    Was the girlfriends parents SKY system a subsidised installation because if it wasn't then you can still qualify for one.

So you can get yourself a dish installed and a digibox, that is no problem and since only one digibox is going to be used a single output LNB is fine.
    The £12 "mirror" subscription requires both digiboxes be connected to the same working phone line for the duration of the contract and payment of course from the same account as the original subscription. This is to stop thieves from stealing the service and selling the cards with full subscriptions onto third parties, in your case with one box in France and the second one here they will fail any check SKY does and you will have wasted your money.

3. JueUK

JueUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've basically done the same thing, i.e Got a box and subscription for my family in France. Bought everything through EBay

Cos I was with ITV Dig, I had to end up getting Sky myself. Luckly I was at an old address with the inlaws.. I've got my new dish etc installed at my new address under my girlfriends name.

Because my family in France are NOT connected to a phone line how will this affect any service ? They've been running fine for the last 4months or so...

Cheers

4. jimbob2

jimbob2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quite wierd that - they've never plugged their sky box into the phone line in France - just in the UK. This has been working fine now for nearly two years, all correspondance being sent to my place in wimbledon.

So my question is this - if I did go and buy myself a box and dish, and their box is NOT plugged into a phoneline in France, will i face a problem?

5. JueUK

JueUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My inlaws Don't have their box plugged in.. So I guess no..

Cheers

6. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you subscribe to Sky the first time [Digital that is] In the contract you only have to agree to have the phone plugged in for the first year. After that you can unplug it. However my dear old mum 76 and still loves her footy. Had sky installed by a right lazy so and so ... who trailed her phone line across the carpet... she unplugged it the moment he left and no probs.

I have a similar enquiry however which is that I am moving to Ireland and want to subscribe afresh to sky there... but I want to keep the free to air channels on my present card. [I know I can apply for a seperate free to air card before I leave] So if I cancel my sky subscription here will my present card become completely useless?

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Your subscription card should continue to work as an FTV card once you unsubscribe form paid $ky channels.
    I suggest that you don't tell them about the move to Ireland though ; if they went by the rules, they could trash the card because you don't have the right to watch BBC/ITV etc. free in Ireland (or anywhere except UK)!
    That's why $ky digiboxes with an FTV card fetch a premium on Ebay (then they get used in France, Spain , Ireland etc.).

Chris Muriel.