1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

second signal problems - help requested

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tij303, Nov 1, 2004.

1. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently had sky+ installed in my living room, but declined the offer of a second box because I was about to have a conservatory built. It is now up, and in anticipation of moving the sky + box in there I installed two sets of sat cable (from b+q) and fitted them into the 2 spare ports on my 4 port sky + LNB. I connected the cable using standard f type connectors (the same type that connect to the back of a sky box).
    For some reason no matter how I try all I get is a 'no satellite signal' message when I hook up either my sky+ box or old box in the conservatory to the cables. I have swapped the cables about on the LNB, swapped the card about etc etc as well as trimming the cable to make the cable centre longer/shorter. When I have swapped the living room sky + cable it still works as well so I assume it is something to do with my new cables or connectors.
    I have noticed that one of the 2 living room connectors (from sky fitter) going into the LNB is slightly different but the other appears the same as the ones I am using.
    Can anyone help with this ? Is there something monumentally stupid I am doing as It would appear from reading the threads that I would be better just splitting the signal. One last thing - I am attaching the connectors to the cable by cutting away the plastic and just sort of screwing it on - could that be the problem ? Thanks in anticipation as I need to get everything into my conny before my wife divorces me !

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Well it's possible that the two LNB outputs you have connected to are dead since the two existing ones work fine on the SKY+.

My first thought would be that the F connectors are not properly fitted, but I assume you have checked them against the working cables.
    As for the cable CT100 sat cable is the norm for a single cable run, again I assume that was what B&Q were selling.

Satcure have a page devoted to F connectors

3. tij303

tij303
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Starburst - I have now sorted it thanks. It was as simple as the fact that I hadnt connected the F connectors up properly. Having read your reply I tried to 'emulate' the existing set up more closely and it was as simple as ensuring the copper/metal shielding was 'folded back' along where you screw the f connector in. Got a signal straight away from both cables (so the lnb is ok obviously) and bobs your uncle. Just have to figure out the cheapest way to run both boxes now. Thanks again for the reply - made me think twice. :thumbsup: