Second Sight to release Walter Hill's cult fave "STREETS OF FIRE" on bluray

MJeeves

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Second Sight are to release Walter Hill's cult fave "STREETS OF FIRE" on bluray.

This 1984 movie stars MICHAEL PARE (Philidelphia Experiment), Oscar nominee DIANE LANE (Man of Steel, Unfaithful, The Perfect Storm), WILLEM DAFOE (Spiderman, Platoon), and RICK MORANIS (Parenthood, Ghostbusters).

It was the movie WALTER HILL directed straight after his mega-hit "48 HOURS".

Here is what is known:

Second Sight to Release Walter Hill's Streets of Fire

There is more on the Second Sight Facebook Page.

I wonder if this is going to be a new transfer or a port of the old HD DVD transfer.

Not that I'm fussed about upgrading, I think it was one of the post war firesale cheapies I bagged.

I wonder if this is going to be a new transfer or a port of the old HD DVD transfer.

Not that I'm fussed about upgrading, I think it was one of the post war firesale cheapies I bagged.

According to Second Sight's Facebook page it is a new remaster and it looks incredible. I hope that isn't just sales talk.

It's a very visual movie so I'm hoping for the best in terms of picture and sound. :smashin:

Anyone seen any reviews of this bluray yet (or the german one)?

Sounds great. Alas, poor HD DVD. Tis time for the long walk, my old son.

I now have the German bluray and it is excellent - it has slightly different extras and cover to the proposed UK bluray. The German disc has great pic and sound and has more music videos, a cool photo gallery, a German trailer and a different featurette. The feature-length documentary is the same though I believe. It really is an insane 80's movie that defines the 'cult classic'. Michael Pare clearly still has a thing for Diane Lane after all these years... he gets quite misty eyed talking about this movie too.

Not seen this before and after reading about it seems right up my street (pun intended ;) ).

It is certainly an interesting movie.

I have BOTH the German BD and the UK BD on order as I like the movie THAT much and they have different extras etc.

Well, I've had the UK disc since Tuesday, (thanks, Amazon Prime... Day of release, my arse!), and it's clearly the HD DVD transfer, but with better compression. It could look better, it could look worse.

Well, I've had the UK disc since Tuesday, (thanks, Amazon Prime... Day of release, my arse!), and it's clearly the HD DVD transfer, but with better compression. It could look better, it could look worse.

Thanks!

Caps-a-holic pics up, comparing the German BD and the HD DVD. It is the same transfer, but with tweaks to the gamma. The UK disc is the same transfer.

Streets of Fire | HD DVD: US vs. Blu-ray: DE

What I noticed, is that the picture is brighter on the right hand side of the screen, then the rest. It's easy to spot, as the film takes place mainly at night time. This also carries into the footage in the new doc.

I'll have to dig out the HD DVD and see if it has the same issue, but I don't remember noticing this before.

**edit** Yep, it's on the HD DVD too. It's just not as prevalent, as the brightness hasn't been altered further.

Last edited:
Second sight altering the gamma on their releases of previously available US titles? Surely not?!?! ;) Does my head in.

That's 'cause he's blind ;)

I liked the picture. I never saw the film theatrically so can't verify if it is as Hill intended or not. But it looks great to me, BUT there is clearly a difference in framing between this bluray, and the original DVD. I like the new framing fine though.

I liked the picture. I never saw the film theatrically so can't verify if it is as Hill intended or not.
I doubt he intended for it to have as much noise as it does. Dated master.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom