1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second room speakers off AV amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mango Bob, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure this has already been posted but I can't find the right search terms!

I want to power speakers in the room next to my lounge, it doesn't have to be a separate zone - I want the main room's music to be played in the kitchen at the same time.

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX750, MS906 fronts (4-8 ohm) and a pair of budget (6-ohm) hitachi speakers I want to run in the kitchen.

Do I just wire them up to the B speaker terminals? Will I cause damage the amp with this load? There's an impedance selector on the back of the amp but I don't understand the manual entry about it!

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I think the impedance switch is just for whether you have 4 or 8 ohm speakers.
    What's a "B speaker terminals"?

You could either put a switching box on the fronts or buy an amp with 2nd zone: SR7500? :)

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp (as many others do I think) has a pair of A and B speaker posts for the front speakers. Two sets of terminals that output the same front left and right signals.

I've used them to biwire the same speaker in the past but would like to attach a second pair of speakers in another room.

The manual implies I can do this but I'm not sure what adding the second load will do...I've never understood impendance matching very well.

What does adding the second 6-ohm load do and will it damage the amp, anyone?

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    You can run a second set of speakers off the B terminals - and select A, B or A+B for output as appropriate when you are listening.

Having different impendances should not cause a problem to the best of my knowledge

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Not intending to hi-jack the thread but on the subject of the whole multi-zone thing. For my yamaha 2500 i have put 3 zones, and i use remote sensors to control the kit, i.e. a IR reciever and trranmitter for each zone. I would also need a yamaha remote control for each zone i'm guessing to control the amp to tell it what to switch ect, also using it's learning ability to control the equipment in the main room. Right so far?

Where do i get the equipment from, the ir-sender and reciever, and new yamaha remotes (without this i wouldn't be able to change the source selected for the zone?)

Also the IR-Reciever would have to have a cable length the whole distance to the amp from the zone, this could be many many metres, would the signal not degrade to much?

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Many of the IR systems are not wired to each other but I assume use short wave signals to communicate between units (similar to a cordless telephone).

Yamaha themselves or a Yamaha authorised dealer would be able to order replacement remotes for you but an 'all in one' type may prove more cost effective.

There are many IR systems on the market - even the likes of Argos stock several - but I am aware that you have to have a receive capable of receiving the correct range of frequancies and number of signals your remote is capable of generating. There may be others that have done this already and can suggest ones which will be compatable.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The yamaha has 2 connections on the back for receiving the signal from the ir receiver, so i'm guessing it would have to receive the signal in that 'port' for the reciever/amp to correctly turn the source over for the zone2/3 and not on the main unit/zone, otherwise it would look like a command from the main zone.