1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second opinion needed!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Canary_Jules, May 13, 2004.

1. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    Hi all. I'm a bit frustrated at the mo - feeling the tension between wanting to keep my HCPC set up stable and wanting to play games. The two don't mix. I'm presently using catalyst 3.8 drivers with my Radeon 9500 and these work fine with Theatertek; but playing games often requires the latest drivers. If I stick in a higher version of Catalyst I get sound drop outs in TT. What I need are two dedicated PCs...

I have a second PC upstairs which I could dedicate to HCPC purposes, while keeping the first as a gaming machine. The one upstairs has a 1gig duron cpu, pc chips 810 mobo, 128mb ram and IBM 60 gig hdd. It uses onboard vpu and sound at the mo, but I will replace these. Do you think that this second machine would do a decent enough job at HCPC with the addition of a bit more memory, vpu and soundcard? Is a 1 gig Duron up to the job? Would a Radeon 9200 suffice? Or would the end result be worse than my present HCPC which runs a Radeon 9500? As ever, don't want to spend too much cash!

Really appreciate your second opinion before I proceed.

Cheers

Jules

2. ChrisAllenFiz

ChrisAllenFiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I use theatertek on a radeon 9000 and a duron 1G and it runs just fine. The only problems I have is that I cant` turn on all the filters in DScaler when I watch tv on my tv card.

Chris

3. Canary_Jules

Canary_Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +764
    That sounds encouraging. I do have a Nebula DigiTV card but I was planning to keep this in my main machine and then use it as a server to stream to the HCPC and thus onto the PJ screen. I think that'll work.