1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second musical seperates

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Rickyj @ Kalibrate, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    I am thinking of setting up a musical system of seperates to compliment my AV setup I have at the mo. But run seperately, so don't need to match.

I would need to purchase an amplifier, Speakers (as av are sats), and a cd player (as only have an old Sony, or Toshiba 520e).

As money is restricted. I was thinking of buying second hand. With upgrades in the future, to modernise, and improve the system. As such it is hard to demo second hand equipment all together. I am therefore looking at any advise anyone can give me. Budget of about £500, inc speakers, but would like to start at a lower price, if can.

I have been looking at Arcam, but open to other suggestions.
    Have seen Arcam 7 cd player for £100, (with the possible upgrade, as discussed in another forum to get it to 82 spec at a later date). And seen a brand new Arcam 7R amplifier for only £150.

Thankyou in advance.

Ricky:D

Just thought I would add that I mainly listen to rock music.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you can get your cd player for £100 that leaves you with £400 or so for an amp and speakers (these are the items that will make the biggest improvement in sound quality IMHO). For that money you can get a Rotel RA-01 (£250 list but £225 if you ask nicely) & a pair of decent speakers - AE evo 1, Monitor Audio Bronze B1, Mission M70 and thats without going to the remaindered stuff that the box shifters in What Hi Fi will sell you cheap as chips. Dont forget stands and cables.

Happy hunting

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    yumyum33

That is exactly what I did. I bought all new AV, mainly Yamaha stuff with Kef Eggs thinking I'd get reasonable stereo performance as well, but was never convinced in reality. So I went on the second hand trail for Hi Fi separates. (Couldn't justify new prices after forking out on AV kit)

You are right on the money with the Arcams. My first purchase was an Alpha 7 (not R) amp out of the local paper for £65 boxed. What a bargain, what a sound. It totally out strips my other equipment in stereo. I think the dynamics are what makes it, there is real clout. It convinced me that I was on the right track and I have now also got the Alpha 7SE CD (£150), the Denon TU260L tuner (£30!) and a pair of supurb Kef Q35.2 floor standers (£180). The combination of Kef/Arcam works really well.

I think it's cost me less than half the original selling cost and it's much less than half the current Diva range which is not dissimilar internally. It certainly cost me less than half what I paid for my AV stuff.

I love the multi channel movie sound and I've dabbled with multi channel music as well but now that I've had my eyes opened as to what decent dedicated Stereo HiFi can do, I never play music on anything else now. Better late than never!

Go for it!

Crocodile JD

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think buying secondhand is your best bet with the budget you've got. The Arcam products you mentioned would be a excellent start. As long as you make sure everything is in excellent condition and stick to popular brands you should be able to sell on anything you don't like the sound of. I would also buy all your cables and support SH too as there's less to go wrong with these.