• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Second HDD - Can't find contents?

weyland-yutani

Established Member
so, i reinstalled win7 on a new hdd and now the second hdd is looking very odd. in disc manager it looks like it is split into 3 sections. first section is 100mb, the second section says 2,000gb unallocated and the third says 750gb unallocated. only the first section shows up in windows explorer. have i lost all the data it was a full hdd of data.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Are there drive letters assigned to the other partitions?

weyland-yutani

Established Member
no and i can't assign letters to them. only the first partition let me do that.

weyland-yutani

Established Member
please close thread. i have reposted in the HDD drive board. thanks.

Last edited:

Stevestix

Standard Member
Hi,

Interesting problem, I am thinking of doing fresh install of Windows 7.

You say your second hard drive is now in 3 partitions, but it wasn't before? How many partitions did you have on the 2nd hard drive before install of windows to first hard drive?

I have noticed whilst working on other computers running Windows 7 and higher that there seems to be a recovery partition, used for rescuing dying installs of windows.

The best and most safe way (the way I would do it) is to download a bios based program like ultimate boot cd, then run 1 of the hard drive reader programs (partition manager) and this will tell you what files still exist and on what partition. Then you can boot back up into windows and copy all the files you want to keep to the primary hard drive, then completely format the second hard drive in to 1 partition then you can put everything back on the 2nd hard drive as you want.

Steve

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
I will close as requested, but in future, you can always request that the thread be moved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom