1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Hand Sky+ Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by anuvid, Jun 12, 2005.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been offered a 'second user' Sky plus 160 box by a Sky engineer. He says if I install it I just need to ring Sky to 'pair up' the new box with my viewing card.

1. What happens if the box is stolen or blacklisted - as Im not sure of its origins.

2. I'm on the basic Family pack but Sky say I need two premium channels to be able to use Sky + functionality, but the engineer says this is rubbish. Can i at worst use the box as a hard drive recorder if I don't pay for premium channels and/or what functionality do I get if |I pay for premium channels ?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like the engineer is trying to screw you over. If you don't take a minimum of two premium channels or pay £10 a month, then none of the Sky+ features will work.

If he can't tell you the truth about that, what else is he lieing about ?

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Remember that if you phone up and say you want to cancel you can get sky+ installed for £49 - it is a reconditioned box but still comes with a 12 month warrenty - though you would then be bound to 12 months of Sky+ subscription either by £10 per month or 2 premium channels.

If you do a search on the forum there are a number of threads on what functionality sky+ boxes have without subscription.