Second hand Sharp LC-60LE636E - worth buying in 2021?

giorxi01

Novice Member
Hi All,
I am interested in getting a fairly large TV (not less than 49") without spending too much (not more than 250 euro) and I found a second hand Sharp sharp LC-60LE636E for sale at that price (probably I could get it for a bit less...).
I am not an expert at all, and since it is quite an old model I am not sure if it is worth spending ~200 euro for such a TV in 2021... what do you think?
I have found a review of the TV on this website (Sharp LE636 (LC-60LE636) LED LCD TV Review), but all the comments I could find online are quite backdated. Would it still be a good TV in 2021?
I am not interested in smart functions, as I will use it connected with an Apple TV Box or with a chromecast. My biggest concerns are for the quality of the panel (even if it was good in 2021, would it still be considered good when compared to modern panels?) and the durability... Do LED panels have a certain life expectancy, based on running hours?
Is there anything I should check to make sure the panel is still in good state?

While I do not necessarily need a 60" TV, I thought it might be a good deal, but maybe I am completely wrong...

Opinions are appreciated, thanks.

tvdavid

do you want the 3d on the TV if so yes there also other ways to view 3d on a projector or a Playstation VR headset will work.
My other tv which is a Panasonic TX-L55ET60B is all good still though today.

giorxi01

Novice Member
No, I am not interested in 3d... Would be used mostly to watch movies/TV series through Netflix/Prime etc...
Occasionally sports and youtube content

tvdavid

if you do decide I would make sure to see it going first.

giorxi01

Novice Member
Any specific things I should check? I honestly wouldn't know what to check other than if it is turning on, and obvious macroscopic imperfections on the screen....

Do you think it's still a valid TV in 2021? Or better look for something smaller but newer (still second hand though...)?

tvdavid

the Sony XH900 XH95 are the top but are more money the LG CX would be a good upgrade to get the deepest blacks just check there no marks on the screen. you might want a firestick to plug in the TV to.

vickster

Distinguished Member
It won’t handle HDR material well if that’s a consideration. But you won’t get anything that will for your budget in any size
Fine for 1080p HD. No harm in checking it out

giorxi01

Novice Member
Thanks everyone for your asnwers.
I will check it out later today. In case it's working fine, and if I can get it for no more than 200 eur, I am actually considering to buy it.

Do you think HD is enough on a 60" panel? What about the durability of the panel? Should it still be able to work properly for another 3-4 yars? (the TV is from 2012-2013)

vickster

Distinguished Member
There’s no way of knowing. It could last 5 years or it could die tomorrow. If it does it won’t be economical to repair.
Without a warranty, that’s clearly a risk you’ll have to take with such an old TV
Might be worth asking the seller how many hours per day it’s been on and what sort of content.

Personally, I’d buy something smaller and newer

Dodgexander

As long as it's in decent condition I'd not worry at all. You won't really know how long it will last as that has a lot to do with how it's been used.

It's a bit like a car, if it's done a lot of miles then it is more likely to fall if it hasn't.

To be honest though you can get some really good deals on new TVs I'm not sure it's worth getting this for EUR200. May be better to buy a bottom range Hisense new. I've seen 55" models in sale for £300-350.

tvdavid

HD is good on anything over 32 inch I say.

giorxi01

Novice Member
Thank you for all the comments. I didn't really want to spend more than 250 eur... and in the end I managed and got it for 180.

Hopefully it will work for another 2-3 years at least.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom