1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Hand REL Q50: £230 a lot?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by knoxy, Apr 14, 2003.

1. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi all,
    Just need some advice really - I'm doing some research into gettting some speakers and a subwoofer.

I'm on the verge of getting the Mission m71i fronts, m7c1i centre and m7ds rears.

I'm somewhat of a home cinema newbie but from what I can tell, if i want a half decent subwoofer, it's going to cost me... so, I was thinking of going for a second hand REL Q50 at around £230 tops.

Am I paying out too much for a sub thats only going to compliment a fairly budget speaker set? Or should I go for a brand new KEF PSW1000?

With regards to the sort of films I watch (if this is relevant!), I'd be playing mainly actiony thru the system - black hawk down, matrix, we were soldiers, platoon, attack of the clones blah blah...

Any help would be great, thanks in advance,
    Knoxy

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Rel mate, Kef are best avoided.

Q100E's are going for £200-£250, get one of these.

Always better to get a good sub than a mediocre sub.

Also try using a subsonic filter, as even my Storm has problems under certain frequencies (a subsonic filter removes freq. that the sub cannot reproduce)

3. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    cheers Nathan, appreciated.

you don't think that an REL sub is overboard for the budget speakers (the missions i mentioned) I'm going to get?

Knoxy

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah. A rubbish subwoofer is boomy, and hard to integrate. A good one will not be boomy- and should be good at the upper freq (say 80hz-120hz)

When you get a subwoofer, try the subwoofer crossover roll-off around 65hz (around the Mission LF, and also 80hz- the THX spec)

Because them Missions go moderatly low, you will probably need to use the subwoofer for 2 channel music (ie with CD)

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also if you buy a good sub you'll keep it for longer. I could have bought the Rel Q50 instead of my Storm, but I would have sold it off by now (not good enough for in my system)

However my Storm is (almost) perfect, so I'll need to get a really good subwoofer to make it worthwhile- ie Velodyne HGS range, SVS PC+ range, Rel Stentor/Studio etc.

6. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    think i'll pass up on the Q50 (at £230 anyway!!) - just seen a Q150E for £250! I really should go in for a demo of one of these subs - that should convince me!

also, guess i'm a little apprehensive at spending a wad of cash on this setup as in a couple of years i'd imagine i'll have moved and then i intend on having a dedicated home cinema room :cool:

knoxy

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Rel Q100E is supposed to be better than the Q150E!

Never compared the two, but other people on these forums prefer the 100E. Guess just because bigger driver, bigger cab, and heard better quality driver as well.

8. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I doubt the driver used in the Q100E is a better quality unit that the one in the Q150E, however it is a better sub, without question.

A s/h Q100E would get my vote also. Failing that, a new Velodyne VX-10 (£199).

MuFu.

9. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    ahh, the Velodyn models - they were going to be my next choice (they're american, right?) - although havent seen them around much...

i noticed the Velodyn that Uncle Eric was selling in the power buy section but 350 too much for what i'm after - maybe in the next upgrade!

10. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is a little bit overpriced. I sold mine less than 200 a year ago.

Bear in mind Q50 isn't a small size and designed to fire against a wall. So you have to be very careful to locate it.
    I really struggled to properly locate and integrate it with my other systems.

I rather save a bit more money for s/h Q100 or Velo CHT10 if you can wait.

However end of day it is all your decision.
    Good luck!

11. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    If you can collect from Central London, I've a REL Q50 in excellent condition and perfect working order you can have for £200.

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,230
    Careful! Don't let this turn intoa classifieds thread and therefore break the forum rules.
    If anyone of you have gear wanted or for sale, post yur ads in the proper forum. Not here.
    Personally I wouldn't pay more than £150 for a Q50. It's been out of production for a couple of years and there should be lots of Q100s around. That extra grunt will be useful if you really want to push the unit.

13. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Think I'll go with the Q100 (sorry Godfather!) - for the moment. I've been chopping and changing my mind for absolutely ages now.

I was initially gonna go with the KEF eggs and match it up with the yammy 630 model.

Then it was the Sony DAVS-550 (something like that anyway) and now the Missions + the REL sub as well as the Yamaha 430 receiver.

Haha! I'm sure I'll be back in a few weeks saying something completely different! Really want to choose the right gear - got my Philips Pixel Plus telly, spent months choosing it, and chuffed - just need the sound for it now.

Knoxy

14. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Sorry, didn't mean to break any rules.

15. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Oh dear. Do a search. :thumbsdow

16. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    uh-oh... i'm too scared to look now (hope i'm not going to find any cases of knackered tubes and other such negative things)

surely not...

17. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    nuts, just read the article - my heart nearly stopped when i saw the sticky! To tell you the truth, i'd noticed a few problems myself esp with the 'haze' around moving objects and it having issues with sporting events like football or rubgy. I was just burying my head in the sand thinking, nah, this can't be right - must be my imagination!

i'd bought it months ago so didn't see any of the critisisms levelled at it.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knoxy,

If you're happy with your equipment (whatever it may be), that's all that counts.

Better NOT to look for fault-listing posts on the forum until you notice a problem yourself. Otherwise, you'll spend all your time finding fault with everything (nothing's perfect).

Also, in case you haven't worked it out by now, many members are biased against equipment that they don't own so will quite happily "slag it off" ;)

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My B&W 601's are utter rubbish! I own a pair.

I tell it like it is! :)

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I bet you haven't got a girlfriend :D

21. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if this chat up line has ever worked??:D

"Hi I'm xxxxxxx and I'm a Eunich. Fancy a dance?"

:laugh:

22. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    changed a few settings anyway after reading the sticky and it helped quite a bit, wahoo!

but! back to this subwoofer question i was having... i've changed my mind (yet again!) and gone for the Velo VX-10 over in the powerbuy section, actually put in an order too, girlfriend will be chuffed to bits.... ahem :blush:

200 quid?! that seems an amazing price - well, to an uneducated home cinema person that is :)

cheers MuFu for the pointer!