Second Hand prices - whats the score?

Didgeaddiction

Standard Member
Hello
Is there a general rule of thumb regarding pricing your second hand components for sale?
Bit of a wide net to throw, i know, as i appreciate there are many variables - age, condition, desireability, and also that something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. But assuming that most well looked after kit will be in, hopefully, Excellent+ condition, can you apply a general "it should be worth X% of the original selling price" equation?
Can this question be answered, or are there just too many variables?

solidamber

As a guide the second hand price of a product in excellent condition boxed with instructions would be about two thirds the current price, less if the model has been superseded I find the best indication is to find the product on eBay then select completed listings, you can see what people are really paying for the same product in various condition. remember prices in red did not sell.

example a search for Lumix DMC FX8 revealed they sold between £50 and £75 second hand

Arfa

I'm unsure if you could come up with a rule like that. There are too many factors at hand. Sure stuff devalues as newer models supersede it, but then there are many classics that just seems to gain value. Once an item has been about a bit, gained good reviews and reputation, it will have a price that stands up above the rest. Things in the home cinema market fluctuate even further due to it being more technology and standards based. Less applicable to hifi, since two channel analogue connectivity hasn't changed much in the last 40-50 years.

Things wax and wane into fashion, as oldies get brought to attention by magazines, forum discussion or even availability of literature and old reviews on the net. I've always thought that you can increase the worth of your gear by raving about it lots all over the net, simply due to people tending to google search gear before buying, to get the low down.

As mentioned above, the completed section on ebay is a good start. Search globally though as well. That said, ebay only keeps records searchable for about 6 weeks. You can also try google cache for stuff prior to that.

Reuben.F

Banned
As a guide the second hand price of a product in excellent condition boxed with instructions would be about two thirds the current price, less if the model has been superseded I find the best indication is to find the product on eBay then select completed listings, you can see what people are really paying for the same product in various condition. remember prices in red did not sell.

example a search for Lumix DMC FX8 revealed they sold between £50 and £75 second hand

2/3 rd's ?, not round here you won't and rarely on fleabay.

nuttyboyz

Exactly,I would look at 30-35% at the moment,some stuff won't even sell at a loss of 50% in mint and boxed condition,I think a good time to buy,poor time to sell.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
There are a lot of variables,not least being the inital value of the items,and the current availability and demand on the market.

You will also find that som high-end items hold their values quite well,after falling to a bit of a plateau,and then the decline in value is quite slow.

For most regular gear though,the drop can be quite fast,as mentioned above,and certainly once a few model revisions appear.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom