1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Hand PMA400E?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mad Ad, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming that it is fully working and has no faults, what do you guys think of a PMA400E for around £1000-£1100 compared to whats available today?

I know theres no tuner and ive had a good search here and see that they can buzz a bit sometimes but apart from that, im a complete noob where plasmas are concerned.

I still have an old 28" CRT going strong and its only the price that has put me off of a big screen, but they are getting cheaper all the time. I managed to stop myself buying the Currys january sale deal - it was only a x480 set and didnt look that good.

Anyway, with a max budget of 1200-1300 (to include all cables, boxes and ridiculous priced addons) I dont expect to get anything worth watching in the 'new' category for a while yet (my good old CRT will just have to keep working) and with the little knowledge I do have, buying something like a plasma second hand sounds like a dangerous practice so I thought Id consult some knowlegeble peeps here first. :)

Thanks for any advice

Ad

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well for £1350 a brand new LG can be yours.............. £250 extra for a new one with warranty...............
    no brainer to me :suicide:

3. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi hornydragon, thanks for the reply

£1350? Is that the entry level on a new 42" now? The LG? Ill have to go look up the specs - altho i can see straight away that is just the wrong side of the line budget wise, I need to include a simple wallmount in the price, and they aint cheap either, 150-200 quid for some bent up steel? :eek: its a licence to bloody print money.

brb

4. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you mean the LG RZ-42PX11? Sweet bejesus thats a 64 page thread, i hope you mean a different one :D

Anyway, wheres doing the £1350 deal?

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes £79! I might even get the tilt for £109, thats still dirt cheap. I was gonna get the cheapest fixed rack I could find and mount it to the wall on timber wedges. I was blown away when I saw it on the site banner. Im catching up - slowly but surely.

Now, hornydragon, I dont want to put you on the spot, but your the only person thats replying, and you do seem to be an expert around here :)

How is the LG be a better screen than the Hitachi? The LG is newer? (well im guessing it is), but only 852 x 480 resolution .... The Hitachi model is a year and a half old technology (this unit ive seen was pre-owned for just 9 months) but is 1024x1024 and HDTV ready?

I mean I dont know, Im the noob here, just it doesnt make sense unless there are other factors involved, other than resolution, that make the LG a good screen?

Thanks for any help

Ad

7. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (ps: im reading thru the monster thread but have a long way to go yet :zonked: )

8. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i encourage you to read the thread as the newer models of the screen have 5000:1 contrast ratio and are lovely. I have the newer spec and i believe it betters the panny's. I bought a tilting wall mount for it aswell which i also posted on the thread (just remember to get the extension plates). The wall mount is great as it doesnt cover the scart sockets whereas a lot of others do.
    Get the LG it will be worth it :thumbsup:

9. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok ive read from page 1-15 and 59-65, ill have to catch up later. I may just pop in comét or currys while im out and see if they have a 5000:1 display model tho :)

Still would like to hear what people think of the hitachi PMA400E @ 1024x1024 second hand, compared to the LG at 852x480.

Just 480 seems a bit low resolution.

Thanks

Ad

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hitachi is ALIS try a serach it is not 1024x1024 but 1024x512x2!!! And is NOT HDTV ready the LG is HDTV ready although lower RES for an HD plasma 42" you need to spend £2.2k (LG PY10 minimum) or £2.5k PHD7,MXE1
    if the hitachi was £800 it would not be bad but £1100!!!!!thats too close to a brand new warrantied LG...

11. Mad Ad

Mad Ad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, well thanks for the advice, so if I offer £800-£850, that would be fair? He might not want to sell it that low anyway.

Theres no tuner or scart and i've searched here and found that it needs 2 special leads, one for the NTL box and one for a prog dvd, to get a proper picture.

Should I expect the picture to be clear tho? Id hope so. I also hope to get a year or two at least out of my first panel but still cant quite justify dropping thousands on a high spec one like i really want- good second hand is about all I can do right now :(

Oh I did pop into comet and saw the LG but i wasnt convinced, but the demo setup was crap - they had 2 panels run off one dvd player. The phillips panel was on the proper component out, and the LG panel was run from the scart of the same dvd player.

LOTR looked totally great on the phillips, but the LG picture was all banded and patchy, like a 32bit shadow or a bad mpeg recording - I asked the bloke if he could swap them around but the excuse was that the componet lead wouldnt reach the LG. Pfftt.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    demo he hitachi see what you think....Panny PWD6 are £1300 Bare panel and very very good.......