Second hand Plasma tv,is it worth buying

wilson1973

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have been offered a Panasonic tv tx-p37x1ob 1080p 38" mint condition plasma tv,the guy wants £80 for it,I don't know how old it is and can't even find it on net,would it be wise to buy this and what should I offer ? if anyone on here is in the know

Last edited:
If it works, it's a working TV. Pretty old model though. Oh and it won't be 1080p it will be 720. There are no 1080 plasma screens smaller than 42" afaik.

I'd say if it's in full working order with no screen-burn artefacts £80 is a good price.
As said, it's HD Ready, not Full HD.

My Panasonic 37" plasma does 720p/1080i

If it's like my outgoing 436xde that has 768 horizontal lines of pixels.

I have the same tv, it is 720p but will downscale 1080p content no problem, 1,024 x 720 is its native resolution. £80 is ok, not exactly cheap considering there are 42" and 50" models going for similar. I would offer £55 for mint condition. There was one on sale here that nearly went for £110 in 2014 so that might give you a rough indication, it is a 2009 model after all.

BTW you will want to google for 37PX10 plasma for research purposes.

Well over a month since we saw the op, so who knows if it's been purchased or not?

I'm on the look out for a 37" Panasonic plasma but have no idea what to expect in terms of picture quality. 720p doesn't bother me in the slightest but would hope for reasonably accurate colours and healthy contrast, brightness and black levels. Or is it better to go for cheapo LCD with VA panel? Any feedback from those in this thread who own a vintage 37" plasma much appreciated!

Hi,I've got the Panasonic TH-37PX80B..At the time of purchase (appox 8ys ago) I was comparing it to a Sony LCD in the shop,the sales rep did his best to put me off,telling me "it's expensive to run and will wear out within a few years".Well it's still going strong, and giving a decent quality picture to boot .Also, the lights don't dim when you switch it on!

The colours on the LCD were to "garish" and the whites bleached out and not to convincing blacks either.

Another major turn off for "me" was "motion blur" on the LCD.I can even see it on my friends new LG Oled (un-calibrated).

Admittedly,the Oled has a fine picture,but I find the Plasma more natural and easier on the eye over a long period of watching.

It's a difficult thing to some up,but IMHO I would say my Plasma (720p) has got a softer presentation of the picture than LCD,which is very much "sharper" and brightly it.

Would I swap it for an Oled? Ummm, maybe?

I am running 2x 37" Panasonic Plasmas still at home, a 37PX600 in the master bedroom and a 37PX70 in the office. Both are 10 - 11 years old and still have a fantastic picture. I have Amazon Fire HD TV boxes connected to both and would still rate the picture quality above that of LCD offerings.

That's the problem. LCD TVs still don't match Panasonic plasmas of old as far as picture quality is concerned. I watched a few new LEDs with a freeview feed, they were naff. Poor colours, blurry lines, a weird halo/ghosting around objects when they move, poor blacks.

That's the problem. LCD TVs still don't match Panasonic plasmas of old as far as picture quality is concerned. I watched a few new LEDs with a freeview feed, they were naff. Poor colours, blurry lines, a weird halo/ghosting around objects when they move, poor blacks.

My Panasonic 4K 50EX750 LCD does and ive come from a Panasonic Plasma 37in PX80.

Hmm, at £1000 I should be seeing it obliterate an old platform that you can pick up off eBay for £70 but nice to know that there are options.

Regardless of price/perceived value for money, in little more than 2 years time (2020) all SD transmissions will be switched-off (DVB-T). Only HD (DVB-T2) signals will be broadcast.

Then, all SD only televisions will be scrap - unless you run off an external box.

Which, let's face it, is fabulous news. Unfortunately I doubt it will drag the quality of the content up, only the image..

Does SD switch off apply to Cable/Sat and will we see 50P also?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I bought a Panasonic 42v10 for £110. This has neoplasma technology but somehow it’s not quite as bright and vibrant as my 37x10 which is simply brilliant. It’s still good though and I like the 1080p, freesat HD and larger screen so will keep it.

You find the higher models had more aggressive screen filters to reject incident light and hold on to the contrast ratio in brighter environments. Unfortunately it also tended to reduce absolute brightness.

Is this why (now I have had time to fettle) I am experiencing ridiculously good depth? At times I feel like this is what 3D TV should have been like?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom