1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second hand CRT projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HT Dude, Feb 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hours usage is easily viewed in one of the various menus provided the projector has that feature. Not all do. They can't be clocked as far as I know.
    I woul imagine most dealers would be happy to be paid for an install.
    What is you budget? Don't forget 500 for the screen and around 350 for installation?

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Thanks HC Dude

Budget's a funny thing [​IMG]
    If I was to buy the second hand Seleco (screen included for 2,750) I would struggle to get all the money together in one go but could just manage it (overdraft, credit card cheques, wife, etc)

With the Sanyo + screen - I could pay half now and put the rest on my credit card

If I was to pay more it would be on finance but there is a limit to how much I think this is all worth.

If I was happy that the Sony10ht was the best compromise for me then I would probably be able to stretch to it (but I'm not) and I certainly couldn't afford a new Seleco 450 crt or HT200

Like I said - its a funny old thing.
    If, for 6,000 I could get a 3 chip widescreen, silent and small dlp that handled all currently known progressive formats then I might be tempted to be still paying it off in a couple of years [​IMG]

I know this doesn't help but I'm sure that there must be other people in a similar situation. (I've been pulling my hair out for about 8 months now)

Regards
    Alex

3. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I purchased a NEC 9PG from Gordon Fraser towards the end of last year and did the mechanical install myself. Basically it took my father and I about a day to fix the roof bracket onto a big 4-2 MDF board, then mount the board onto the roof. Cables were run and then Gordon came up the day after and we lifted the thing on the roof and he spent a good few hours converging.

Having seen the results I would say it's definitely worth getting the projector professionally calibrated, as to the mechanical side, depends if you are DIY orientated.

You didn’t mention “burn in” in your post which is the main thing to look for. Look at the tubes individually, shine a torch in them to see if you can see any company logos etc J

Do you know how many hours the unit has, I think CRT’s have a life of about 10,000 hours.

4. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Tryingtimes,
    I suggest the following,contact screensuk(speak to jim)and go see the Ellie.
    Dont be put off by the price,its a 6-7k product for 4k,it has a brilliant line doubler(made by barco),6 variant colour temp adjustment,gamma control,10 picture memories,-its a brilliant product-on top of that jims guys can do a fantastic install-and get the picture tip-top!
    To beat this you gotta spend 10k with the sony crt or the top barcos` etc-and even then there`s nothing much in it(certainly not 6k`s worth of difference!!)

If you buy s/hand-your always taking a risk-and theres some compromise somewhere..and remember these crt tubes if on the way out aint cheap...

If your gonna buy lcd or dlp-then dont look at the ellie-cos if you look at the ellie after youv`e bought the sony lcd or the seleco ht200(dyson lookalike-just add broom handle...)-your gonna be gutted....

5. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    p.s.the ellie kicks the seleco 400ht`s arse...

6. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I agree with Charles about the CRT I personally plumped for a 2nd Hand Barco 708MM which with new tubes was around £2.5k. Adding Screen and Install prices to that raised the overall install price to £3.5k

I personally do not have that much of an issue with 2nd hand and I know what I now have is as good/superior to LCD or CRT around the £7k figure.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    With CRT, I would always buy second hand(now). You can pick up some good deals if you shop around. Its now possible to pick up a second hand data grade machine for the same price as a new video grade would have cost. As long as the hours are not too high and you know what to look for then its the way to go. Remember, Although the tubes last around 10,000 hours, you are unlikey to keep the machine that long, so 3-5000 hours is not so bad as long as the tubes are in reasonable shape. You could probably pick up a second hand unit (usually Barco) for around 2-£4K. A machine that would cost anything from 8 - 16K new.

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I've been looking with interest at the second hand CRT market (imparticularly at a Seleco 400HT) and wondered what the issues surrounding this are.

In particular I was wondering the following

Are the tube clocks easily viewed?
    Is there a risk of them being clocked?

Would a Seleco dealer install a projector not bought from him?
    How much would they charge?

How long is the Seleco warranty?
    Is it transferable from owner to owner?

Is there anything in particular I should be on the look out for whilst buying (apart from picture quality, tube hours and physical dameage)

Is there even a small chance that I could install it myself? Given that there are a few guides available on the web.

Lots of questions but I have a modest budget and high expectations so I am really only looking at a new Sanyo PLV30 or a second hand Seleco 400ht

Many thanks
    Alex

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Suspect I'll be going this route some time this year if I get that 20% pay rise: (well if I don't I'll just go somewhere that pays better!)

I know its a bit vague but what would be the damage for a reconditioned CRT datagrade in perfect nick: (looking for at least 1024x768: something I can feed an HTPC into)

10. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    ...but remember this,the quality of 4 or 5 years ago that you would have paid 16k for,can now be had for 4k anyway-and its called the ellie!!!(...brand new of course..)

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    and if I recall its got a dodgy RGB input?

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,405
    mmmmm No. Another sweeping statement from charles based solely on his rabid enthusiasm for the Ellie.
    Projectors costing 16K 4 or 5 years ago are in the range of data grade projectors from the likes of Barco and Seleco and quality wise were better than the Ellie - and probably still are.
    I'll add that I think the Ellie is great, but you have to keep things in perspective.

13. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just how good is technology now? Is it worth going for a second hand Barco 708 over a brand new Ellie? The Barco only came out in feb 1998. Do any of these have a 16:9 display?

------------------
    Is he the one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.