1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second hand amps - any point??...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andy76, Dec 31, 2000.

1. andy76

andy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying a second hand DD/DTS amp to start a system.
    My local shop told me bluntly it was stupid and a waste to bother with second hand stuff as new items are so much better than anything 12months old.

I really only want to spend a max of £300 anyway so not looking at a top notch system. I still think that an amp that was £800 12months ago(and £300 now) would still be better than a new £300 one.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Andrew Farmer

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have thought that every time a new sound format comes out, there'll be people that feel the need to upgrade. Actually, I'm one of them, but I'm RESISTING, OH YES I AM ! <grin>.

No, seriously, whilst I wouldn't know where to look, getting a 5.1 DD/DTS amp now that saucy models like the Denon AVR-3801 with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 have arrived, should be easier.

In fact, my HiFi shopee (Audio-T) told me recently that they do trade-ins for gear bought from them within the last year, and I actually got a letter from them listing loads of bargains.

Might be worth looking them up on the web perhaps for some in-store 2nd bargains?

What do new amps provide nowadays that they didn't 12 months ago? The newer sound formats mainly I think. So I really can't see what's so bad about an older amp. They'll still be bargains.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Stuart- Isn't the High Wycombe branch of Audio-T closing in the near future, apparently the building is unstable or summit.

Andy- I have a Denon AVR 2800
    which i bought for £300 (from Denon direct) because the 2801 had just come out. Half price bargain!

Rick

PS happy new year!
    This is first post of 2001!

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

4. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know its not what you are looking for, but why not consider the Sony Sdrb 930 which has now come down in price to £300 brand new. This is because it has been succeeded by the 940.

But I am sure that if you look around you will find one, and I am assured that for £300 you cannot get better DD,DTS and 5x100w reciever?????

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

5. GaryJ

GaryJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I look for used - not used up!- kit? In particular DD receiver,I'm looking for a silver (to keep the missus sweet)receiver on a very tight budget (to keep the missus sweet) of about £200. Please help - are there any web sites?
    Thanx and Happy New Year to y'all!!

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GaryJ - there's always the auction sites (ebay,yahoo,etc) and the calssified section on this site, however I don't know of any websites which deal specifically with second hand AV gear.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as you know what your looking for i'd always recommend looking at second hand hc equipment..just remember to test it well before handing over your hard earned cash!! I recently bought a yamaha 3090 amp from ebay.co.uk for £180 and the amp is still one of the best sounding amps around, the guy who i bought it off picked up a yamaha a1 on the same site for £500..Bargin..just remember a couple of things know what your buying, test what your buying and most of all drive the price down!!

Mike

8. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea. You mentioned this before on some other topic or other and I emailed them to ask, but never did get a reply.

I'm going to pop in there in the next week or two to order some Soundstyle racks to go with my TV stand, so I'll try and remember to ask then.

Hope not, they're dead handy for me.

------------------
    Stuart Booth

9. SimonL

SimonL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always try Loot (www.loot.com) they occasionally have a few gems.

Happy Hunting!

Simon

------------------
    Are you going to bark all day little doggy?

10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Andy

I would say that it would be safe to assume that a piece of kit that cost £800 last year will be better than a piece at £300 RRP. These type of buys have always attracted me, as they are great deals. It was £800 for a reason last year - it must be excellent quality.

On the subject of cheap amps - if you could get to a RicherSounds store, you could audition the Pioneer VSA-E03 that I own. This was £400 RRP - I bought mine for £200 about 8 months ago, and now RS are doing it for £119 !! It is a good sounding amp IMHO, although of course it will not match some of the more expensive ones you see mentioned on this site. But as an entry level machine at a competitive price you'll not find better. I am happy with it.

11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59

We do the Soundstyle stands and stuff if they do close down. We are selling less now because the Quadraspire ranges are shifting like rabbits...

Rick

------------------
    MiB 1997

12. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rick,

I'll keep that in mind about the Soundstyle stands. Sometimes I go all girly and here I have to confess I want to keep everything matching.

Also starting to think about a sub for my system now too. Wanting to compare the Q200E (is that a REL?) with the REL Strata III. Are there any other models you'd highlight?

------------------
    Stuart Booth

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Yep the Q200e is a REL, other subs you may want to try, umm, M&K or B&W are the others that can compete, M&K especially.

VX100, or VX125

Rick

------------------
    MiB 1997