1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second hand: a fair price?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cribeiro, Apr 29, 2004.

1. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hi, friends:

I need your advice, as usual... I was intending to buy the following set:

CA Azur amp 640 ---> 500 euros
    CA Azur cd 640 --->500 euros
    Opera Mini (second hand) ---> 600 euros (the owner said they cost 1000 euro new)

When I listened to it in the shop, compared to Myryad Z series + Triangle, the first set was much better sounding, although it was missing a little bit of "live feeling".

Now, my problem came when I checked the prices in internet. I knew that the Azur series is much cheaper in UK, but I can't find it cheaper in Germany, and I want to buy from my dealer, because he was always very nice and helpful to find my taste and offer something matching it. So I agreed paying that much. But the opera minimonitors cost 650 euro new in a shop in Germany, so I don't think it is fair to ask 600 for them, even when the owner paid 1000 some years ago. In this matter, my dealer is only a middle-man, and he didn't know about prices of that, since he doesn't sell Opera products.
    I proposed them to keep the ratio: 60% of the street price... not with respect to the one he paid, but with respect to the price today. The guy didn't agree, so I am now waiting for my amp and cd, and I don't have speakers to go with it...
    Don't you think that the deal I propose is fair?

2. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Personally I would not pay 600 euros for something I could get new for 650. 400-450 would be about right for me.

3. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    So my offer of 400 was fair... I hoped to read so.
    The second issue is that I agreed about the price when my dealer told me they were 1000 euro new according to the details given by this guy, but then I checked the prices and somehow broke my word. Do you think I was not fair?

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If the guy paid 1000 euro for the Minis he was well ripped off. It sounds to me like someone is pretending their speakers cost more than they did to try and get back what he paid for them.

From the sales I've seen, used Opera minis in the UK are £300 (450 euro) at the most. As the 1000 euro price looks suspect I don't see why you should worry about pulling out of the deal and I'm sure you can get better speakers than the minis for 400 euro.

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Hey, Avanzato, thanks for that. I felt kind of guilty, but if I went on with the deal, I'd feel kind of stupid... I preferred guilty :)

I must admit that I was impressed by the performance of the minis with the Azur series.
    Compared to the Triangle Horizon Sathis (similar to Titus) with both same electronics and Myryad Z electronics, they were better.

What would you then propose to partner the CA Azur 640's? I had already told my dealer to order the cd player and amp... I was really seduced by the Titus, but my dealer said they don't match so good the Azur series, as the classic ones from CA...

Edit: I think the purpose of the thread is covered already, so my last question might well deserve a new one, if moderators don't mind... I will start it now. Thanks.