Second direct Blu-Ray v HD-DVD comparison.

BadAss

Banned
HERE is the second comparison using Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

The reviewer added this in a thread on AVS.

Lastly, I also can say that we at HD Digest have no bias torwards one format or other. Quite frankly, I get all the discs for free so I have it easy -- I only want to give as honest a comparison as I can so you can spend your money as wisely as possible. However, I will say I'm quite frustrated that we only have one Blu-ray player on the market. I highly suspect the cropping problems I saw are a player issue -- the amount of cropping is simply too identical to be some sort of triple coincidence on Warner's part. In any case, it would be great to have more choice in consumer HD DVD and Blu-ray players, just as we do with standard DVD.

Uruloke

BadAss, fair play mate. You've stood firm in your support of Blu-Ray (and have come in for some stick!), but are still happy to post comparisons that show HD-DVD to be the better format at present. You've been quite informative lately! :thumbsup:

rover2002

Saw this title on SDDVD about a month ago.If your a Val fan you should really give this a viewing (BD or HDDVD).

Uruloke

rover2002 said:
Saw this title on SDDVD about a month ago.If your a Val fan you should really give this a viewing (BD or HDDVD).
It's a fantastic film and one I can't stop watching! The performances are excellent throughout.

BadAss

Banned
Uruloke said:
BadAss, fair play mate. You've stood firm in your support of Blu-Ray (and have come in for some stick!), but are still happy to post comparisons that show HD-DVD to be the better format at present. You've been quite informative lately! :thumbsup:

LOL, I dont have a vested interest in either format so I should be seen to be as unbiased as the next man.

My support for BD has always been one with an outlook that goes beyond the excitement and hype of the first six months. I want a format that hits its potential 12 months down the line which I think BD will do.

A candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. :smashin:

lfletcher

Here's the link to the Rumour Has It review as well http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rumorhasit.html

So assuming all 3 reviews are accurate we pretty much know that 15GB VC-1 is slightly better than 25GB mpeg2 and 30GB VC-1 is also better than 25GB mpeg2 :eek: No great shocks there then.

So VC-1 is better than mpeg2 and uses around half the disk space. When Warner start using VC-1 for their BD disks (the next wave if rumour is to be believed) then they should be identical. That should be an interesting comparison of Toshiba vs Samsung players as the discs should be equal. Unless someone optimises a VC-1 BD50 disk for a film then HD-DVD is always going to be just as good as good as Blu Ray (or vice versia) and pretty much makes the use of BD50 for Warner and Paramount redundant. Quite interested to see what Disney and Fox bring to the party with regards to codecs.

rover2002

BadAss said:
LOL, I dont have a vested interest in either format so I should be seen to be as unbiased as the next man.

My support for BD has always been one with an outlook that goes beyond the excitement and hype of the first six months. I want a format that hits its potential 12 months down the line which I think BD will do.

A candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. :smashin:

:D

rover2002

lfletcher said:
Here's the link to the Rumour Has It review as well http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rumorhasit.html

So assuming all 3 reviews are accurate we pretty much know that 15GB VC-1 is slightly better than 25GB mpeg2 and 30GB VC-1 is also better than 25GB mpeg2 :eek: No great shocks there then.

So VC-1 is better than mpeg2 and uses around half the disk space. When Warner start using VC-1 for their BD disks (the next wave if rumour is to be believed) then they should be identical. That should be an interesting comparison of Toshiba vs Samsung players as the discs should be equal. Unless someone optimises a VC-1 BD50 disk for a film then HD-DVD is always going to be just as good as good as Blu Ray (or vice versia) and pretty much makes the use of BD50 for Warner and Paramount redundant. Quite interested to see what Disney and Fox bring to the party with regards to codecs.

It will be intresting if Disney releases a few tiles on both formats this X-mas.I'm not sure if MPEG2 or VC-1 will make a huge diffrence on CGI movies, i could be totally wrong.
Will.

FOXCLOSE

BadAss said:

Agreed. We want the best technology over a longer period of time to win.

No point in HD-DVD winning the war now, and then discovering that Blu-Ray would have being the better choice!

gingerone

I just want whichever is going to be the best, I don't intend to buy a hd player for at least a year or so and prices will be a lot cheaper by then.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Agreed. We want the best technology over a longer period of time to win.

No point in HD-DVD winning the war now, and then discovering that Blu-Ray would have being the better choice!
Interesting perspective. As a consumer and end user all I care about is getting the highest quality. For me that is HD DVD.

FOXCLOSE

Rasczak said:
Interesting perspective. As a consumer and end user all I care about is getting the highest quality. For me that is HD DVD.

I think you and most people on this forum think about what's the best now.

While I and people like BadAss think about the not so distant future.

I don’t think the current crop of Blu-Ray releases are bad given the problems the format is experiencing. I strongly feel that Blu-Ray will iron out all its problems in a year’s time and has the real potential to be the most beneficial format for the consumer in the long run.

I just hope BD is given that opportunity and that the studios, Sony, BD Association or whoever makes the important decisions get the most out the technology before it’s too late.

Once it's too late well.... you're stuck with it!

rover2002

FOXCLOSE said:

I don’t think the current crop of Blu-Ray releases are bad given the problems the format is experiencing. I strongly feel that Blu-Ray will iron out all its problems in a year’s time and has the real potential to be the most beneficial format for the consumer in the long run.

I just hope BD is given that opportunity and that the studios, Sony, BD Association or whoever makes the important decisions get the most out the technology before it’s too late.

haha :hiya:

shaithis

The future only holds 1 difference tho: disk space.

Yes, BD will be slightly superior once they switch to VC1, DD True HD and 50GB discs.....but the only plus it will then have is the disk space.

Do we really need that disk space? and at what premium will we pay for a little extra disk space?

For me thats a no-go and I am perfectly happy to buy into HD-DVD and get the quality I want NOW......not buying into sub-standard MPEG2 software with DD5.1 - hell, apart from the screen resolution BD disks currently are virtually adhering to DVD specs and charging threw the roof for it :(

Rasczak

Distinguished Member

Well high def is a reality now. If HD DVD only presented an average product then I'd be more critical - but it's bar far and away the best high def picture you can currently get. Leagues ahead of SkyHD in quality and on a different planet from WMV HD. Bottomline is I too could sit by the sidelines and watch everyone else have high def - but why wait? I have a high def screen now. There is high def content now.

In which case many of us who have brought HD DVD will also buy BluRay. But as things stand now it's hard to see who the format is appealing to. Earlier adopters, who want quality, reject it. And it's priced too high for average buyers. Until then the only people who seem to support the format are bystanders.

Well I won't be too disappointed if I end up 'stuck' with HD DVD. I will be if I end up with cropped titles, digital artifacts and reduced audio which is what BluRay is offering. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
my only hesitation in buying HDDVD now is whether I'll regret the money I spent on discs if Bluray ends up winning in a couple of years. Of course i'll still be able to play them, but I'd rather stick with one box.

the actual cost of the box doesn't bother me as much.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
my only hesitation in buying HDDVD now is whether I'll regret the money I spent on discs if Bluray ends up winning in a couple of years. Of course i'll still be able to play them, but I'd rather stick with one box.
Even if one format loses by the time that happens the 'loser' will produce a dual format machine. Even if dual format optical heads haven't been produced then we'll see a machine with twin drives like any of the first generation BluRay recorders. And by the time your original machine fails you may well be looking to buy your original titles again: new transfers will have been used, with full lossless audio, more extras (if you care about them) etc. Whether your selected format sinks or swims you'll probably buy early titles again!

And odds are we'll need multiple players this time around anyway: an US player (for imports) and a UK player. Plus many will have a seperate DVD recorder as well so having multiple formats should not be a problem!

FOXCLOSE

Rasczak said:
Well I won't be too disappointed if I end up 'stuck' with HD DVD. I will be if I end up with cropped titles, digital artifacts and reduced audio which is what BluRay is offering. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think you know that's not the future for Blu Ray! ;)

dekoded

Rasczak said:

At the moment yes I agree, but soon, there will be no difference in either BD or HD-DVD quality when BD starts to use VC1, but what if VC1 is improved upon in the future but requires more disc space than HD-DVD has to offer.

As I heard recently, upto 95% of the original video file has to be 'removed' by compression techniques using VC1 to fit onto a HD-DVD (otherwise the space required would be 1gb/sec apparently!), but what if a newer form of VC1 or similar only has to remove 90% but requires twice the disc space, surely this would result in a better PQ?, just like MP3's when they are encoded at different bitrates.

I just think that HD-DVD will peak much earlier in terms of picture quality (which is good initially) and is less likely to be improved upon, and lack of space must surely be the biggest problem when it comes to maintaining high quality files and this is the one area where BD has it's biggest advantage, 15/30gb discs sound huge at the moment but a in a couple of years I don't think it will, we already have ipods with 30gb!

The PS3 will have a huge influence on the HD format war, I'm sure we'll see plenty of PS3 and HDTV bundles in a few months time! and BD films on the shelves next to the PS3 games and the online feature of PS3 will be used as a storefront to promote BD demo's and new releases.

I do want BD to 'win', mainly because I honestly believe it's the best format for now AND the next few years.

danvitale

BadAss said:
HERE is the second comparison using Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

The reviewer added this in a thread on AVS.

Lastly, I also can say that we at HD Digest have no bias torwards one format or other. Quite frankly, I get all the discs for free so I have it easy -- I only want to give as honest a comparison as I can so you can spend your money as wisely as possible. However, I will say I'm quite frustrated that we only have one Blu-ray player on the market. I highly suspect the cropping problems I saw are a player issue -- the amount of cropping is simply too identical to be some sort of triple coincidence on Warner's part. In any case, it would be great to have more choice in consumer HD DVD and Blu-ray players, just as we do with standard DVD.

Im delighted to see some unbiased, first hand articles around in this section of the forum. Sadly instead of educated debate this section of AVF is dominated by petty fanboyism...... much like the PS3 area.

Thank you for your article Badass.

BadAss

Banned
danvitale said:
Im delighted to see some unbiased, first hand articles around in this section of the forum. Sadly instead of educated debate this section of AVF is dominated by petty fanboyism...... much like the PS3 area.

Thank you for your article Badass.

I don't quite know how to take that danvitale.:rolleyes: :D

danvitale

Well it's something that Id like to see more of in this part of the forum mate. If you can do more of those articles please be sure to post the link ;)

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
what if VC1 is improved upon in the future but requires more disc space than HD-DVD has to offer.
Codecs become more efficient not less. Anyway ultimately HD DVD can offer upto 45GB of disc space v BluRay 50GB (the BD-Video specification only supports upto dual layer BD) so the difference in capacity is minimal.

By the time UHDTV arrives and we need new codecs we will get new optical formats. BluRay and HD DVD will both have been superceeded by then (they have already if you consider the holographic technology).

Originally Posted by Rasczak:

Well I won't be too disappointed if I end up 'stuck' with HD DVD. I will be if I end up with cropped titles, digital artifacts and reduced audio which is what BluRay is offering.

I think you know that's not the future for Blu Ray!
With respect no I don't. I would hope that it isn't. And I would guess that it isn't. However I would have suspected a 'home cinema' experience to present films uncropped from the start. I personally find it unbelievable that this has happened at all. And they expect early adopters to pay >US$1000 for it?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022