Second box Question

hemp3

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who has tow boxes ie.e one sky+ box and one older digi box use their second one for freeview? The only way I can see to get ITV, C4 etc it seems is a second hand card as the BBC and Sky dont issue freview card anymore. Will i be bale to use someones elses card with my system, I know there a few going on ebay but I dont want to buy and end up with somethng I cant use.

hemp3,

why don't you pay the extra £10/month and have all the channels on your chosen package, available to you on your second box?

I dont want to pay another tenner to sky for channels that wont be watched.

1)Well you will have to either pay £10 for 12 months, £120 for full sky, then Free To View sky after 12 months,
2)Get a freeview box (from £50)
3)OR RISK an ebay sky card.

Your best bet sounds like option 2, and get a freeview box for £50 and get itv2 etc

OR get Second card for 12 months?

So if you pay £120 for the year they give you freeview after a year? Are you sure doesnt sound like a Murdoch policy to me.

Well you pay for a mirror card, £10 per month for the minimun contract 12 months, then cancel the mirror card, then your viewing card will be left as a "Free To View" card, then you will get many free channels, Not the "Freeview" ones tho

You will get BBC1 2 3 and 4, Plus ITV1, Ch4 Ch5 and a few others (mainly crap) channels

Whats the risk with ebay? Is it that Sky dont allow transfers?

It could not work with your box, Some boxes are matched to cards, could have been deactivated, could be damaged, sky could cancel it,

Its up to you, i sure wouldnt gamble that much money,

If you get a card off ebay, your also have to install the second box's cable yourself, or pay someone.

£50 for an install to install it, £70 for an ebay card (thats how much they are!) £120 later and it still might not worl

or £120 and you can have every channel in the second room for a year, and then i proper, legit, working system,

What do you think?

yeah i see oyur point although the box was installed by the guy who installed the sky +. I think Murdoch and his money making machine will get even more of my hard earned cash.

It seems ok, or get a freeview box? £50 and thats it

I take it your not in a FV area?

No, but freview you dont get all the channels you do with sky/

But sky's freeview you dont get, ITV2, FTN Sky sports new, and many other channels,

The ones on sky are mostly crap.

I tried to get the mirror and they now say that they want both boxes connected to the phone line and regular call backs from both. They are cheeky sods, im not having cables trapsing all over the place. Why didnt they put them in when they installed the Sky + box.

I will phone them and tell them that they installed the boxes therefore should have put the lines in so they can either put the lines in themselves or just let have the mirror sub or i will cancel it all.

Well unless your in the first week its tough!
They would have installed a line to sky plus, (or should have)
You will need a Sat feed to the second box and a phone line.

The boxes need to be connected, to prove they are in the same household,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom