Second best alternative for the SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer

mhweb

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm building my first 5.1 setup with this configuration:

Yamaha RX-V685
Polk Audio Signature Series S30 Center Channel Speakers x1
Polk Signature Series S15 Bookshelf Speakers x4

And I'm waiting for the SVS PB-1000 Subwoofer to go down in price, but if I'm not able to get it, which would be the second best cheaper alternative.

Thanks,

Better alternative assuming you got space is SVS PB12-NSD which goes for 499$ (normally 800$). This is black friday deal only and this model is close to PB2000 so for same price of PB1000 i would certainly pick this for movies if you have about medium sized room, high % of your viewing is action/scifi stuff and you want the biggest impact.

Monolith 10 THX is very good aswell, keep on eye of the price on their site and Amazon.

HSU VTF-2 MK5 might go sale too.

Any other model worth looking at that is a smaller.

As it turns out even the SVS PB-1000 is a bit too big for the space I have.

I think I need something less than 19-inch deep and about 12-inch wide to make it work.

Thanks,

How large is your room with possible openings?

The room is small about 15 feet by 12 feet, and the subwoofer goes next to the TV stand, which can potentially block the way to another door. So, less than 19-inch deep and about 12-inch wide by 20-inch tall.

Wondering question. Can the subwoofer go next to sofa looking forward the TV?

The tricky part is there is no guarantee where it sounds best, so you should listen the sub in both places.

12inch width is the problem and it limits you to tiny woofers. There is plenty of good models around 15inch width. But that would mean you would place it near the couch. Will the sub be located to corner then? If you have pictures of your room front/back, please upload them so can see better where the couch is etc.

Width doesn't have to mean across the driver. I'm not sure about price but the new Arundel might just squeeze in your dimensions: 1961 Subwoofer 1S - Arendalsound.eu, although I think at least one open side would be good.

If the tv stand is only 12" away from the door, where are the speakers?

The room looks like this and the measurements are almost identical. My room is about 15x12ft.
beast-2019-1126-17085.jpg

The door on the right (behind the TV), never gets open, so that's the space I have, but 3 feet from the drawer there's a third door (in the right wall) which I can't block. So a few inches after the end of carpet is all I have.

@Gasp3621 I think I might be able to make the argument on a 15-in width SW. (I placed a box about that size next to the TV, and thus far no one has complained.)
Also, if I get a big SW, it might have to go next to sofa, and yes, it'll be on a corner.

If you have to put it at rear i might look good sealed sub like the SB12-NSD which is within your budget. I haven´t had subwoofer at rear of room ever as always got the space at front and no problem blending the sub there. But ported sub in rear corner it could sound bit boomy/muddy there and also locate more easier, something you don´t want. Also keeping in mind your receiver won´t do any subwoofer eq to help (auto mode) and the room is really on the smaller side. But i know people have different tastes when it comes to bass and i have no idea what kind of "earthquake" you have in your mind as in expectations?

@Gasp3621 What do you mean with "your receiver won´t do any subwoofer eq to help (auto mode)"? The SVS PB-1000 will do subwoofer eq?

@Gasp3621 What do you mean with "your receiver won´t do any subwoofer eq to help (auto mode)"? The SVS PB-1000 will do subwoofer eq?

No i meant the Yamaha you have. It will set the subwoofer level when you run the auto setup with microphone, but won´t do any automatic correction to your subs as in help with the boominess example (it won`t correct the room response). Denon X3500H would be better in that sense as the room correction software is better. Looking at the price of Amazon Denon goes for 600$ as V685 for 550$. If you haven´t bought Yamaha yet, swap it to Denon! Was bit suprised that the price difference is that small as the Denon model is basically one class higher.

good find. Should I care about only hdcp 2.2 instead of 2.3 which is available in the Yamaha model?

good find. Should I care about only hdcp 2.2 instead of 2.3 which is available in the Yamaha model?

I`m not the best person to answer about the newest features as i`m not really after those myself, but i would assume the 2.3 is part of the HDMI 2.1 which comes in to next year receivers and also for the 8K which is still far away and expensive. If you have 4K tv then you have nothing to worry about now.

Do you know if x3500h is a discounted product? I was checking a retailer online b&h photos and it had the discontinued label, and the official site didn't load any specs.

Do you know if x3500h is a discounted product? I was checking a retailer online b&h photos and it had the discontinued label, and the official site didn't load any specs.

Soon to be sold out model yes as new X3600H has come out. Best time to snag one away for low price!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Out of curiosity, will a discounted receiver affect firmware updates, technical support, etc?
Does denon and other brands are known to discontinue model every year?
PS: first time buyer 😁

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, will a discounted receiver affect firmware updates, technical support, etc?
Does denon and other brands are known to discontinue model every year?

Apart from the flagship models there often comes new model every year that brings mostly some few extra features while the internal components stay about same. This year was bit different as the X3600H got two more extra channels and 11.2 processing, meaning you can run 5.2.4 atmos system out of box and 7.2.4 with extra amp compared to X3500H (5.2.2/7.2). But normally they won`t change that much. As you live in US, you have 3year warranty as minium and normal support. No idea about the firmware updates. Buying last year receiver is often the best thing to do as you can save ~40% assuming it has the features you need. I would never buy the newest model unless there is some special features i must have. Just like in UK it seems X3500H has been super popular in US aswell because it offers so much for the money. Do some research and then decide.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom