1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secam recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dtriggs, May 16, 2005.

1. dtriggs

dtriggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I knew about this but am now very confused. I have searched the forums which has raised more questions.

I am trying to buy a Dvd Recorder that works in both UK and France but at first will predominantly be in France. Philips on the website say theirs are 'compatible' with Secam but their helpline say that they record in Pal but wont record Secam broadcasts. I have read on here that in fact they will convert the secam signal into Pal and then record it.

Now, as Dvds in France are Pal from what I can see (I have bought them over there and they play on my home equipment), this must be the case for most European machines isnt it ? Or am I missing something ?

Please help as I am really confused.

2. TobyW

TobyW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Check out Toshiba. I had a XS32 (in Australia) for a short time, and I noticed that one of its features was that it supported both PAL and SECAM.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes, the XS32 supports SECAM (as does the XS34). You can set the Input Signal to be PAL, SECAM, or Auto. It defines Auto as: "The recorder automatically identifies PAL or SECAM video system of receiving broadcasts or recording sources. Some signal conditions of the broadcasts or the sources may prevent correct detection. In this case, select “PAL” or “SECAM” according to the broadcast or the source".

Mark

4. sbheaven

sbheaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes can definitely confirm the XS32 supports SECAM as we watch and record French TV in the UK via (analogue) satellite. Interestingly if you record the SECAM broadcast from the hard drive to a DVD it converts it to PAL