Seaton Sluice, Northumberland

GIZTO29

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm really keen on Seascape stuff and am tring to work my way along our coastline in the North East at the minute. Yesterday i managed to pop down to Seaton Sluice which is the beach connected to Blyth Beach which was in my previous thread. It has beautiful sand and at the end there's a groyn near a small burn outlet.
Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash
This was where i wanted to photograph and the tide was in which was pretty important for the type of photo i was after, i had checked the photographers ephemeris which i was told about the other night The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot and knew that the sunset was at 3.55pm so was hoping to catch some pink clouds and sky. All of the clouds were at Tynemouth along the coast though but we had a pink sky beginning to appear. I got there at 3.30 and damn was it cold!! Ive also bought a crystal ball about a month ago and hadn't really had the opportunity to use it so i was armed with that aswell. I took some shots with that first. Its quite tricky getting the aperture right to create the right focus on the ball and blur the rest and also you get a reflection in the ball which i would like to avoid in future.

5337568276_bc3253907c_z.jpg

5337568296_1798339735_z.jpg

5336981149_5a150f744f_z.jpg

I then added firstly my 10 stop Heliopan ND Filter for a 30 second exposure.

5337568170_53f409a157_z.jpg

After using that i felt i would like to get more movement in the water so it looks like its wooshing back towards the sea. I switched to an ND8 Filter (3 Stops) and took a few shorter exposures of around 5 seconds.

5337684718_47a6100165_z.jpg

Ideally i think 1-2 seconds would've been better but i couldnt achieve it. I should've tried a 1 or 2 stop but at this point my wife was looking a slightly blue colour and i couldnt feel my fingers so we retreated back to the car!:eek:
Im pretty happy with the outcome as its all a learning curve but i really want to get some sunset photos next time. I think im getting a bit frustrated as im comparing mine to photos on Flickr which are so damn good! Something to aim for though isnt it!:)
Thanks for looking, c & c welcome
Phil

Get a day with a good wind and it and the sea looks even better.
Colder though!

Nice set Phil. I love the crystal ball approach, very innovative. Well done.

Get a day with a good wind and it and the sea looks even better.
Colder though!
I might give that one a miss:laugh:

Nice set Phil. I love the crystal ball approach, very innovative. Well done.
Thanks mate:) I first seen photos like that on Flickr and just had to get one...or 2!:laugh:

+1..... :thumbsup:

Raj
Cheers
+1

Great idea

Jim

Thankyou bud:) I reckon a Macro lens would be much better mind!

A great set but particularly like the mono one. A beauty.

I love using Silver Efex Pro which is what i used here. Its a Nik Software Plugin for PShop. You wouldnt think there were so many Black & Whites haha
Phil

I'll need to have a dabble at that - seen some marvellous results with it and I'm a big fan of mono landscapes.

I'll need to have a dabble at that - seen some marvellous results with it and I'm a big fan of mono landscapes.

Off topic but are you from Newcastle mate?

Great set mate... love #1 :thumbsup: and loving the crystal ball approach. Which of your lenses were you using for these shots if you don't mind me asking?

Really need to get my a*se down to Blyth beach and here seeing as I am local..... I guess it will be St Mary's lighthouse next if your working your way down the coast?!

The crystal ball ones are great. As are the rest, but they are a little bit different, which is always good. :)

Great set mate... love #1 :thumbsup: and loving the crystal ball approach. Which of your lenses were you using for these shots if you don't mind me asking?

Really need to get my a*se down to Blyth beach and here seeing as I am local..... I guess it will be St Mary's lighthouse next if your working your way down the coast?!

Hi Ali, i used the Nikon 18-70 AF-S f3.5-4.5 which i got used off Ebay. Ive so far been to Blyth twice and this spot at Seaton Sluice once but after looking at other people on Flickr theres so many places i need to check out. Its all weather permitting and the sky has been pathetic recently on a weekend. I still have plenty of spots Blyth to check out like Battleship Warf, the piers and the turbines then at Hartley theres somewhere called Charleys Garden with a big stack at the rocks. I think its in Collywell Bay which is just round the bend from where these photos are from. Theres many other places and St. Mary's is another belter i will defo visit. Theres loads more i havnt mentioned like Cambois mind :laugh:

Nope - across at Penrith so not too far. Really need to nash across one morning.
Ah right, just your name lead me to think that. Also the word nash haha

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Oh, heres another ball shot where i had the ball on its stand. Ive left it the right way up or wrong way which ever way you look at it haha
5340287119_bfc56b5a9b_z.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
Hi Ali, i used the Nikon 18-70 AF-S f3.5-4.5 which i got used off Ebay. Ive so far been to Blyth twice and this spot at Seaton Sluice once but after looking at other people on Flickr theres so many places i need to check out. Its all weather permitting and the sky has been pathetic recently on a weekend. I still have plenty of spots Blyth to check out like Battleship Warf, the piers and the turbines then at Hartley theres somewhere called Charleys Garden with a big stack at the rocks. I think its in Collywell Bay which is just round the bend from where these photos are from. Theres many other places and St. Mary's is another belter i will defo visit. Theres loads more i havnt mentioned like Cambois mind :laugh:

Arh right cheers.... is that lens much of an improvement on the 18-55 VR kit lens in terms of quality?

Thanks for the heads up on locations as well.... maybe I will see you at one of these places one weekend seeing as I am from Cambois ;) ha ha! Na I am from Gosforth but have done a bit of work in Cambois and its er...... a s*it hole!

Ali

Where did you get the crystal ball from and was it expensive? Google shopping shows some very varied prices, but yours seems ultra clear.

Arh right cheers.... is that lens much of an improvement on the 18-55 VR kit lens in terms of quality?

Thanks for the heads up on locations as well.... maybe I will see you at one of these places one weekend seeing as I am from Cambois ;) ha ha! Na I am from Gosforth but have done a bit of work in Cambois and its er...... a s*it hole!

Ali

Its much better quality, no plastic and people rave about it saying it punches way above its weight! I got mine for £77 on Ebay! Its £300 but Jessops were selling it half price which pushed down the used price but theyre going for £130 and stuff on EBay atm. Ah Gosforth, i used to work in the backlane near the police station and magistrates courts. Aye, just keep a look out for someone fumbling about witha camera bag wearing green wellies haha

Where did you get the crystal ball from and was it expensive? Google shopping shows some very varied prices, but yours seems ultra clear.

I got it off Ebay mate from this shop
BEAUTIFUL CLEAR CRYSTAL BALL - 80mm WITH STAND AND BOX on eBay (end time 24-Jan-11 16:24:42 GMT)

I bought the 60mm one first for around £9 but thought i would be better off with the 80mm (in the photos). £15. Great comms and delivery by that shop from my experence and it comes in a great box.
Phil

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom