Seating distance.. Can some one just finally tell me what size to get.. :'( lol

adamknox

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am on the verge of buying a TV (gt30) yet I'm worried I'm going to buy the wrong size. I will be sitting approx between 6 feet and 7 and a half foot away (90")

I was first going to buy a 42inch, until I heard that a 46 inch would be better for the distance I was going to be viewing the TV from.
Then the TV shop salesman told me that 50inch would be better..
I then read on a website that sitting less than 9 feet with a 46inch will make the images look pixleated.
I went onto yahoo answers (didn't want to keep bothering you with my questions :p) and every one on there said 42 inch would be more than fine and 46 would be pushing it.. I've now found a calculator site Screen size vs. seating dist. - FlatpanelsHD
That I would be better off with a 50Inch...

I'm getting really sick and tired of reading SO many different conflicting documents/reviews/posts :( Can anyone PLEASE just tell me if I'll be okay viewing a 46inch TV at around 6-8 feet away? I don't care if I don't get 100% benefit but 90% would be fine.

Will I be able to tell the diff between 720p and 1080P?

Will I get the benefit of a bluray etc? I hardly watch TV (unless the world cup is on..) but I do watch allot of SD DVD (upscaled with ps3) and bluray.

I have been to a shop where you could test out diff viewing distance. However they had a HUGE window in front of the TV so looking at the detail was impossible.

Would I be better off with a 42,46 or 50inch TV? the 50 inch is WAY out of my price range tbh (I'm going for the GT30) and the 46 is out of my price range but manageable.

I sit about 7-8' away from my set, I started with a 42" set and for most viewing Id say it was about right. after having issues with my V20 I started looking into whats what, to get another set. I think for HD 42" is a good size at tge distance I sit, but with 1080p I dont think I was close enough to see any extra detail over 720p. After reading up a bit, I read that sitting at my distance to get the benefit of 1080p I need atleast 46". I now have a 46" Gt30 and I can clearly see more detail in 1080p.

So your opinion is 46 and my distance away i will be happy with bluray and wont be too close to see pixles? I will see the diff and i'lll (for a lack of a better phrase...) be loving it? :D

See what worries me are some of these people who write reviews on websites are fanatics that NEED it to be perfect to enjoy it. They need the best sound systesm the BIGGEST TV, the best atmosphere etc. I am a fussy begger but not to the point that i need it 100% spot on to enjoy a film. Thats why i dont know who to beleave. :'(

P>s ... HOW CAN YOU SAY CRYSIS 2 WAS POO :O Its an epic game :D

Last edited:
I'm currently viewing a 46GT30 at around 8-9ft away. The picture quality of all my HD sources is excellent (PS3, BluRay, Freeview HD) and I can get a few feet closer without seeing any obvious pixelation.

Upscaled DVDs are pretty good too, although clearly not as good as BluRays at this distance. SD Freeview picture quality can look quite poor at times though, but varies depending on which channel you're watching. It doesn't tend to pixelate, but just looks a bit soft.

If you mainly watched SD Freeview and weren't bothered about 3D, then I would say a 42" would be the one to go for, but if you want a more immersive 3D/BluRay/gaming experience without sacrificing SD picture quality too much, then I would say a 46" would be a good compromise at your viewing distance.

I struggled to find a 46GT30 to audition, so had a good look at some 42 and 50" sets and from that could take an educated guess at what the 46" would be like.

The rough rule of thumb on viewing distance I was taught for getting the best out of HD viewing on a 16:9 screen was 1.5 times the screen size. Which if you think about it means most of us myself included probably sit to far away to get the 'maximum' benefit of HD content. Of course there is the trade off that if you are that close for HD then SD tends to look rather shocking so there is never a perfect answer.

Just the get what looks best to YOU, this is such a personal perceptive thing that there really are no hard and fast rules.

Like I said when asked why on earth I had bought a 55 inch TV years back, I replied very simply "I couldn't afford the 70 inch".

I'm getting really sick and tired of reading SO many different conflicting documents/reviews/posts :( Can anyone PLEASE just tell me if I'll be okay viewing a 46inch TV at around 6-8 feet away? I don't care if I don't get 100% benefit but 90% would be fine.
I view a 50" from just under 7 feet and if I was to go by some of those viewing charts or take onboard some of the posts i've read on here and other forums with regard to viewing 1080p material I would need at the very least a 60". I don't. As said by Andy Cobb though you really need to judge this yourself. Judging PQ instore is pointless imo but judging viewing distance with appropriate viewing material instore should be easy enough. As it's a 3D tv you're contemplating a larger screen size at 6-8ft would be more optimal with 3D content.

I have been to a shop where you could test out diff viewing distance. However they had a HUGE window in front of the TV so looking at the detail was impossible.
Seems like a strange shop, Were you trying to gauge viewing distance from outside the shop or was this a pawn shop :rolleyes: Can't say I've ever viewed a tv in a store that had a "HUGE window" in front of their display models.
Tried to Pm you earlier Scooby, clear some space in your PM box mate :)

TBH ive little or no intrest in 3d (unless gaming in 3d is better than watching movies at the cinema) Its just got an amazing picture! :D

Ty guys for your anwsers. Im glad no one said "Adam you NEED a 50 inch" as that would put getting a TV back by about 2 months ><

If you mainly watched SD Freeview and weren't bothered about 3D, then I would say a 42" would be the one to go for, but if you want a more immersive 3D/BluRay/gaming experience without sacrificing SD picture quality too much, then I would say a 46" would be a good compromise at your viewing distance.

I struggled to find a 46GT30 to audition, so had a good look at some 42 and 50" sets and from that could take an educated guess at what the 46" would be like.

I mainly watch SD (upscaled) dvds, blu rays and ps3/PC gaming. So would you suggest a 46 inch? The only time im ever going to watch TV is when the world cup is on tbh and that will be on bbcHD/ITVHD. I cant honestly think of any other time i would watch TV :( UK tv has got SO bad in the last few years.

Also the tv wallmount i have has an extending arm which brings the tv out about an extra foot(if needed). So i guess i could pull it out so im watching at 6 foot.
When i had my 32inch TV, upscaled dvds Like '24' looked really crisp. Im just a bit worried they will be pixilated on 46inch screen sat at 7-8 foot.

MY viewing distance is 6-7 and i have 46" lcd. HD and dvd's looks nice. I want bigger, at least 40 or 55.

Buy atleast 46 if not 50 inch.

I mainly watch SD (upscaled) dvds, blu rays and ps3/PC gaming. So would you suggest a 46 inch? The only time im ever going to watch TV is when the world cup is on tbh and that will be on bbcHD/ITVHD. I cant honestly think of any other time i would watch TV :( UK tv has got SO bad in the last few years.

Also the tv wallmount i have has an extending arm which brings the tv out about an extra foot(if needed). So i guess i could pull it out so im watching at 6 foot.
When i had my 32inch TV, upscaled dvds Like '24' looked really crisp. Im just a bit worried they will be pixilated on 46inch screen sat at 7-8 foot.

I'm suggesting that a 46" plasma would be a good option, but you must demo some sets in store before deciding, as everybody's needs and expectations are different. Don't buy blind from an online store purely on forum advice.

It's almost certain that standard DVDs are going to look softer on a 46" screen than a 32" screen at the ame distance, so you have to find out whether the difference is acceptable to you or not. I'm not noticing pixelation at my distance, but the extra sharpness/detail offered by Bluray is definitely noticeable.

It's likely that a wall-mount with an extending arm for a 32" may not be strong enough to mount a 46" plasma, so please check the weight it's designed to cope with first.

I'm suggesting that a 46" plasma would be a good option, but you must demo some sets in store before deciding, as everybody's needs and expectations are different. Don't buy blind from an online store purely on forum advice.

It's almost certain that standard DVDs are going to look softer on a 46" screen than a 32" screen at the ame distance, so you have to find out whether the difference is acceptable to you or not. I'm not noticing pixelation at my distance, but the extra sharpness/detail offered by Bluray is definitely noticeable.

It's likely that a wall-mount with an extending arm for a 32" may not be strong enough to mount a 46" plasma, so please check the weight it's designed to cope with first.

Ive seen the GT30 in store and looks..amazing :D It was only a 42inch but im pretty sure the 46 inch will look amazing. If worst comes to the worst ill send it back under Distance selling regulations. :)

At the moment i still have the 26inch TV, the 'arm' only goes upto 32inchs. I will be buying a new one with the TV that supports upto 55 inchs :)

Ive just used a calculater online which is supposed to be the best one to use.. -_-
Viewing Distance Calculator

these are the results:
6.2ft Maximum recommended SMPTE viewing distance (no idea what that is..lol)
7.2ft Max THX viewing distance
5.1Ft recommended THX viewing distance (I honestly dont think i could sit 5ft away from a 46inch tv.. lol)

VIEWING DISTANCE BASED ON VISUAL ACUITY (No idea what that is..)
16Ft Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576)
6 Ft Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080)

So im a bit confused. from what it says i should eb okay..yet on the last one it says for HDTV
it says just 6ft is MAXIMUM.. yet i cant see any one sitting for e.g 5ft from a 46inch tv?

From what ive listed above everything seems okayfor my viewing distance???

Best advice is to go and see one and view it from your sitting distance. I would see if you can view SD stuff as well because a lot of viewing is still SD in many cases.

Also, everyone has different vision and so what could be acceptable for one person might be unacceptable for someone else. I sit about 10ft away from my 42" G10 and with some of the dodgy UK Gold stuff I watch, I wouldn't want it to be much bigger :laugh:

i really wish i could. :( The onyl place around here that had the 46 inch version out on show had a HUGE window infrontof the TV lol you couldnt see diddley squat. I also loved how they had dark knight and alice in wonderland on to show off the picture quality..... both dark movies.
I did ask if i could watch an upscaled dvd or SD content and the guy replied "....Why would you want to watch a dvd if your spending this much on an HD tv 'boss' " Any one who uses 'boss' needs a slap and doesnt deserve my money tbh :p -_-

I did find a 42inch GT30 in the panasonic shop in Taunton. However you couldnt stand 6 feet away due to the way the shop was laid out :'( GRR

Last edited:
i really wish i could. :( The onyl place around here that had the 46 inch version out on show had a HUGE window infrontof the TV lol you couldnt see diddley squat. I also loved how they had dark knight and alice in wonderland on to show off the picture quality..... both dark movies.
I did ask if i could watch an upscaled dvd or SD content and the guy replied "....Why would you want to watch a dvd if your spending this much on an HD tv 'boss' " Any one who uses 'boss' needs a slap and doesnt deserve my money tbh :p -_-

I did find a 42inch GT30 in the panasonic shop in Taunton. However you couldnt stand 6 feet away due to the way the shop was laid out :'( GRR

Yes I know what you mean. I eventually ended up at my local John Lewis and I could stand roughly in the position that I needed to. I still watch a lot of SD stuff and the only HD I watch is via Sky HD, but I won't watch a crap program just because it's in HD :D

Unless there's a forum member living near you who owns one then you could nip round and have a look at it :)

I don't know whether you've seen this viewing distance chart Adam. It comes from How Far Should I Sit From My HDTV? and is, pretty much, spot on in my experience, though I can't get 12 feet away from my 46" to properly test SD.
HD looks superb at 6 feet and I just put up with SD looking a bit shabby.

576 resolution 720 1080
32" inches 8' feet 6' 4'
37" 10' 7' 5'
40" 10.5' 8' 5'
42" 11' 8' 5.5'
46" 12' 9' 6'
50" 13' 10' 6.5'
52" 13.5' 10' 7'
65" 17' 13' 8.5'
EDIT, Sorry, for some reason that hasn't displayed the way I typed it. The chart is in the link above and will be much easier to read.

Last edited:
I don't know whether you've seen this viewing distance chart Adam. It comes from How Far Should I Sit From My HDTV? and is, pretty much, spot on in my experience, though I can't get 12 feet away from my 46" to properly test SD.
HD looks superb at 6 feet and I just put up with SD looking a bit shabby.

576 resolution 720 1080
32" inches 8' feet 6' 4'
37" 10' 7' 5'
40" 10.5' 8' 5'
42" 11' 8' 5.5'
46" 12' 9' 6'
50" 13' 10' 6.5'
52" 13.5' 10' 7'
65" 17' 13' 8.5'
EDIT, Sorry, for some reason that hasn't displayed the way I typed it. The chart is in the link above and will be much easier to read.

OH TY! I did see that chart but have only just noticed it said Minimum.. so hopefully 7 should still be fine :D Tyvm Im deff getting a 46inch tv now lol Welcome to Crampton & Moore online store - - Crampton & Moore (TV) Ltd here i come!!

I view a 50" from just under 7 feet and if I was to go by some of those viewing charts or take onboard some of the posts i've read on here and other forums with regard to viewing 1080p material I would need at the very least a 60". I don't. As said by Andy Cobb though you really need to judge this yourself. Judging PQ instore is pointless imo but judging viewing distance with appropriate viewing material instore should be easy enough. As it's a 3D tv you're contemplating a larger screen size at 6-8ft would be more optimal with 3D content.

Seems like a strange shop, Were you trying to gauge viewing distance from outside the shop or was this a pawn shop :rolleyes: Can't say I've ever viewed a tv in a store that had a "HUGE window" in front of their display models.

Tried to Pm you earlier Scooby, clear some space in your PM box mate :)

Sorry made some room:)
adamknox good choice sir you're going to love it.:smashin:

:D Ill be back in about a week to give you my thoughts :p ty for all your help guys and patience lol

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom