Seat Leon TSI 190

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
So, in my search for a new car I stumbled across a Seat Leon 2.0 TSI 190 yesterday at a local Seat dealership - and went to have a look. Was a nice car, surprising amount of room in the back with the front seat set up for me. Got a test drive later in the week.

Has anyone in here got any real world experience of one? From a few reviews online on different platforms people seem to like them. They aren’t anywhere near as quick as the Octavia VRS I have been looking at (6.4 seconds vs 7.2 seconds to 60), but it appears they should happily do over 40mpg on a run (Skoda likely to be about 34-36?).

it’s the FR model, so no heated seats unfortunately, but it is just about a year old, so still 2 years manufactures warranty, the Seat garage will give it a service before I buy it and then I will get the next 2 services checked in.

only real annoyance is a lack of spare wheel and Seat want £250 for one!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

That is just a detuned Golf GTI isn’t it? If you like it then you can’t go wrong with a Golf.
Personally I wouldn’t worry about lack of a spare wheel. Make certain it has the repair kit with compressor in the car but forgot about ligging around a heavy component that maybe you only need once ever. It’s a thing from the past.

Likewise cambelt vs chain. No big advantage either way. If it has a belt it is likely not due to change for another 73K miles.

Lack of heated seats would bother me though.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
That is just a detuned Golf GTI isn’t it? If you like it then you can’t go wrong with a Golf.
Personally I wouldn’t worry about lack of a spare wheel. Make certain it has the repair kit with compressor in the car but forgot about ligging around a heavy component that maybe you only need once ever. It’s a thing from the past.

Likewise cambelt vs chain. No big advantage either way. If it has a belt it is likely not due to change for another 73K miles.

Why go for a GTI? It’s vastly more expensive. You could get the Leon chipped and save the difference.

D

Deleted member 27989

Why go for a GTI? It’s vastly more expensive. You could get the Leon chipped and save the difference.
Sorry I put it a bit wrong. I meant if you like the Leon then just go for it as it is basically a Golf and they are good 👍 I didn’t mean to suggest to get a Golf instead.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member

i don’t think any of the seats I have looked at come with anything in the boot -the wheel and jack is a £200+ option when new.
What would I want a repair kit and compressor for? If the tyre is burst there isn’t much chance of me repairing it?

test drove the 190 FR last night and it was lovely car. Need to decide between that one and an FR sport which is a little further away, but a little more expensive.

D

Deleted member 27989

i don’t think any of the seats I have looked at come with anything in the boot -the wheel and jack is a £200+ option when new.
What would I want a repair kit and compressor for? If the tyre is burst there isn’t much chance of me repairing it?

test drove the 190 FR last night and it was lovely car. Need to decide between that one and an FR sport which is a little further away, but a little more expensive.
How often have you got burst tyres? I’ve driven well over a million miles and it has not happened. When it does and I survive it then just get roadside assistance to sort it out.

but hey if you deel happier to have that extra weight to carry with you everywhere then that is your choice. Fewer and fewer cars will come with it.

nheather

Distinguished Member
How often have you got burst tyres? I’ve driven well over a million miles and it has not happened. When it does and I survive it then just get roadside assistance to sort it out.

but hey if you deel happier to have that extra weight to carry with you everywhere then that is your choice. Fewer and fewer cars will come with it.

Agree, I'd still prefer a jack and a spare though. A more common scenario, nail in the centre of a relatively new tyre. Repairable, if you used a spare but not if you filled it with repair gunk.

Cheers,

Nigel

AMc

Distinguished Member
My '58 MKV Golf GTI has a pristine space saver in the boot - unused and in perfect condition.
I used the jack for the first time the other day - to check for a wheel bearing.
In 110,000 miles I wonder what that extra weight has cost me in fuel?

I bought a can of Holt's Tyreweld when we swapped run flats on our Mini for regular tyres.
It can be wiped out though the fitter may need to be prodded about that.

Because Tyreweld is made from a water-based foam, it can be easily wiped from the tyre using paper towels, so a mechanic can find and fix the puncture. This makes it different from other emergency tyre repair products, which can’t be removed from the tyre and mean you need to buy a new one.

Make sure you tell whoever repairs the tyre that you’ve used Tyreweld. If they’re not familiar with it, just explain to them that it’s a water-based repair product which can be easily and quickly removed, so the tyre is still fixable.

FWIW the Mini had run flats, when it picked up a nail in the middle I couldn't get it repaired even though it had been driven a very short distance without losing air.
Everyone said the walls might have been damaged so buy a new tyre.

nheather

Distinguished Member
FWIW the Mini had run flats, when it picked up a nail in the middle I couldn't get it repaired even though it had been driven a very short distance without losing air.
Everyone said the walls might have been damaged so buy a new tyre.

Run flats can be repaired but finding someone that will do it is very difficult. It is very convenient being able to say "run flats cannot be repaired you must buy an eye-watering priced new one from us".

I found a nail through the centre of the tyre on very first car I had with run flats, on the way back from picking it up from the dealer. I think there was a good chance that it was there when I picked it up but of course I couldn't prove that. A £225 repair bill to the new car I had just picked up and I'd only done 7 miles.

Since owning this car I have developed two pet hates
  • Run flat tyres
  • Low profile alloys
Never again if I can help it.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom