Searching for a CRT projector.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AVRascal, Jan 6, 2012.

1. AVRascal

AVRascal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    Hello everyone, I am currently trying to source a CRT projector, to hire or to buy. Despite communication with a number of AV Companies up and down the country, I've yet to find anyone who can supply. The basic requirement of the unit is to present a good quality image, 6ft wide in 4:3 aspect ratio. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

2. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,952
    Ok I'll ask........why?

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    Where are you located? I've an old Seleco (310 IIRC) that I need to get rid off cheaply, and an old Sony (both AC tubes - probably 7"). Not as good as a digital, but watchable. What's ur budget?

Gary

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    It would be just swell if you could offload kit via the Classifieds. You can then collect your iTrader ratings on the way out too.

Mike.

5. AVRascal

AVRascal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm installing a video Artwork that will be showing for approximatley 4 weeks Feb/March 2012 in Manchester... the artist has specified a CRT projector mounted in a purpose built projection room. I have had no instruction on budget as yet. Hiring a unit would be favourite. Just testing the water here ...

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    Thanks Mike.

I'm new here so I appreciate the input. It never occurred to me that if the OP was interested, I might take that route.

Gary

7. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    It doesn't say Sarky Git next to your profile but I can always add it for you if you wish :)

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    You started it.:p

Gary

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    Projectors require good light control or complete darkness for best results. All projectors require to be set up correctly for best results, and CRTs especially with regard to tube alignment. Set up costs for CRTs start from around £300 but you can get immediate results with a digital (though correct set up will still improve the image). CRTs don't have a zoom facility, so have to placed at a specific distance from the screen, depending on the screen size (bigger screen, further distance). Digitals have a zoom function. CRTs can do full fade to black if that's what the artwork requires, but there are caveats with that.

If there is light in the room or the room has bright walls, a grey screen will help combat those issues. You may also need a brighter projector, and a CRT wouldn't be my first choice if that was the case.

The best quality CRTs tend to be the 9" tubed models like the Sony G90 or Marquis 9500, but there are others. They also cost more but are relatively cheap now. The G90 for example retailed at £28000 when new, but can be had for around £3000 second hand. Brand new CRTs are quite rare to come across, so second hand models are more likely to be available. They can be bought very cheaply too since more people are going to digital.

We really need more info for the room conditions and how the images are to be viewed since getting the projector is just one part of the puzzle.

Edit: a Sony G70 just went for £300 on the classifieds here, and with the extras (gamma control for example) can give you a very special image indeed:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-p...588-sale-sony-crt-g70-hdfury-gammax-hdmi.html

Trouble is, finding something that good or better in the short time frame you have might be a bit tricky.

Gary

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. AVRascal

AVRascal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Gary,
    Thanks for your information. The projector will be mounted in a light-tight, sound-proof "room within a room". The viewing space will be 8m x 6m with a sceen mounted on one of the 6m walls. The projector can be floor or ceiling mounted and will be allowed a maximum throw distance <8m to make an image 6ft wide. As things stand I favour a ceiling mount as this will make hiding cables easier/no trip hazzards etc. The 4:3 screen will most likely be MDF, coated with CRT White ScreenGoo and raised off the surface of the wall somewhat, possibly fitted with a dark light-absorbent frame (build time permitting). The interior of the room will be painted in darkroom/blackout paint. I am not certain at this time whether the space will need to be fitted with emergency lighting or not.
    Sounds like that Sony G70 would have been just the thing ... hope this extra info helps you visualise this project a little better ...
    cheers,
    Shay

11. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Are you certain the artist MUST have a CRT Projector because, as you've seen, that really complicates things.

Or, is he/she non-technical and just thinks all projectors are CRT?

Just a thought... :)

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,021
    Sounds like an ideal room. What's the image criteria - are good black levels important and is 4:3 the only choice? If 4:3 and CRT are a fixed requirement then it does limit your options a fair bit. I take it the art is 4:3 as well?

Gary