1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Searched through but can't find answers

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mistermod, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mistermod

mistermod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    I'm now in the what to buy predicament that many find themselves in after my TV went bang. Plasma too expensive for me, LCD I'm not keen (images seem too flat) so I'm down to CRT v Rear projection, but know nothing about rear projection except there are some affordable models out there. Still here's what baffles me the most.

1 Do rear projection TV's use a bulb, like front projectors? If they do would this not would seriously raise the running cost of the TV.

2 For DLP rear Projectors. I keep reading about the rainbow effect on DLP front projectors. Do rear projection TV's suffer from this too, and if not why not?

3 Can you play PS2, Xbox etc through a rear projection TV. Once again seen bits where some say you shouldn't others say you can?

Thanks for any replys in advance. :clap: :thumbsup:

2. mistermod

mistermod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jusr found out they do use bulbs. So that sorts that out. Also found DLP's still appear to have rainbow issues, so that sorts that out too

Just the gaming situation now if anyone knows.

TA

3. schnipps

schnipps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 Do rear projection TV's use a bulb, like front projectors? If they do would this not would seriously raise the running cost of the TV.

Yes DLP does use a bulb, lifetime of which no one knows for sure, about 3 years.

2 For DLP rear Projectors. I keep reading about the rainbow effect on DLP front projectors. Do rear projection TV's suffer from this too, and if not why not?

You can get them however many never see rainbows, personally i have never seen one

3 Can you play PS2, Xbox etc through a rear projection TV. Once again seen bits where some say you shouldn't others say you can?

Yes, no reson why you couldnt

4. mistermod

mistermod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    mistermod,

i was in the same boat, ( although mine didnt go bang ), i bought a tosh 46wm48p dlp rear pro, i previously had a sony 36" crt, the picture quality of the dlp was amazing, not quite as good as crt, but not as far from it as you might think! The shear size of the screen, searing brightness, and sharpness are amazing, i always thought rear pro's were'nt good enough, but with all the uncertainty of plasmas, and expense of lcd's, i gave it a go, and am not dissapointed.

schnipps.....3 years? thats a bit short isnt it?

6. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    schnipps,

what player do you have for your tosh 46"?

im looking for a good quality multi-region, hdmi & component out equiped dvd player ( currently using pioneer all in one via s-video )

what do you recommend, ...oh and im skint by the way,..so cost is an issue!!

7. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    albertz,

I believe the most cost effective player with those specs is the Sammy HD-745. Has a DVI output but you simply use a DVI to HDMI lead or a DVI-HDMI adapter.

As a bonus you also get DVD-Audio/SACD and DIVX playback. Otherwise the HD-945 has HDMI, I had asked the question a few weeks back and was told on a budget these were the only offerings.

Check this forum and read up on both as they had some minor issues.

mistermod and schnipps, bulb life is usually measured in hours so it all depends on the set you are interested in, I think they vary from 3000-6000 hrs and that then translates to how many hours a day you use it. Replacements are around £200 I think or could be a bit less.

As for the rainbow issue, this has been covered in quite some detail, just do a google search on DLP rainbow. Some ppl are more prone than others, viewing distance makes a difference. Backlighting behind your TV can help as do 6 and 7 segment colour wheels.

Go view one and see if it affects you would be my advice. XBOX uses RGB scart which these TVs support.