1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search for a Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by EndoKrine, Jan 24, 2003.

1. EndoKrine

EndoKrine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im after a ultra compact range digital camera.

At the moment i am deciding between these:

1. Canon s230/v3
    2. Minolta Dimage Xi
    3. Casio Qv-r4.

I want one to carry around with me( day and night). So the size of all these three are ok but I am just wondering which one has best image quality and features?

If anyone wants to recommend any other cameras fee free. I think these are the top 3 at the moment in the ultra compact range. (i.e s45 is too big)

What do you guys/girls think?

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Casio to me have always made musical instruments and never been that good at that either. Immediately both Canon and Minolta scream as being better companies for photo equipment, as it's basically all they do.

Now, the Minolta is a tiny camera, but, I was watching a programme called "He's Gotta Have It" a few weeks ago and they reviewed, I think, the Dimage X. He was a normal consumer and found it a little too small for his hands. The specs on the new Xi are fantastic, 3.2 Megapixels ain't too bad. 3 x optical zoom could be worse combined with 4x digital. .Specs here

Compare that with the CanonIxus V3. I Couldn't find the 230 you mention. Again it's 3.2 megapixel, but only 2x optical with 3.2x digital zoom. I would avoid using the digital zoom as image quality decreases. The camera physically is slightly larger than the Xi, but that may be no bad thing.

I've seen no recent reviews of either camera (except that TV thing), so can't comment on their performance. Personally, I prefer the look of the Canon, looking more like a traditional camera, and although there's less zoom, that would get my vote.

If you want to spend a little less, you could look at the Ixus 330. Although it's only 2 megapixel, it's dependent on what you want to shoot.

Personally, I don't carry a digital, I've got a 35mm compact I carry, then scan any decent pics.

Hope this helps a little.

3. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Machine Head

Machine Head
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Fuji Finepix A201. I'm very happy with mine.

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm in much the same boat... want a take anywhere ultra-compact digital camera. I've personally decided to wait until the gorgeous looking Pentax Optio S comes out. If it lives up to its spec, should be awesome...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optios.asp

Can pre-order it for £399 at Amazon, but it's bound to be available cheaper elsewhere.

6. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Before you buy any ultra compact camera, find one in a shop somewhere and have a play with it.

Just like v small mobile phones some of them are so small, that they are difficult to use in all but point and shoot mode. Of course if that is all you want, then fine but then it seems pointless buying a camera with all the nice features on.

This is the very reason I ended up with the Canon A40 as it felt comfortable in my hands.

7. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was in the same situation until earlier this week, finally ended up with the Casio QVR4 - I am very happy with the camera, it does everything I want and more, most importantly is the fact that it'll fit in my pocket comfortably and has the quality and feel of much larger and more expensive cameras.

Still playing with teh camera but I now seriously hooked on digital photography.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Do yourself a favour and look at the Casio cameras. I have one and it takes stunning shots. The lens is a cannon made lens. All in all a very good value for money brand.

9. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 2mp Casio Exilim s2 - great pics and so small and easy to carry around.