Sealed/vented? SVS vs Arendal

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Further to an older thread which I’ll now delete, I’ve narrowed my sub choices down to either the SVS-Sb3000 or one of the new Arendal 1961 subs.

I’m wondering what your thoughts are?

If I go with the Arendal sub, I need to decide between sealed or vented. Never really understood the difference?

I’m replacing a Dali K14 and using an Anthem 720 and XTZ Cinema series.

Sealed is generally easier to integrate into a system.

It will also normally give a tighter response.

Sealed is almost always better for music.

Vented can hit harder with higher SPL output and is sometimes preferred for movies.

Vented subs are also normally bigger than sealed subs.

Personally I run all my speakers and subs sealed as it sounds best in room.

Sealed is generally easier to integrate into a system.

It will also normally give a tighter response.

Sealed is almost always better for music.

Vented can hit harder with higher SPL output and is sometimes preferred for movies.

Vented subs are also normally bigger than sealed subs.

Personally I run all my speakers and subs sealed as it sounds best in room.
Sealed and ported subs integrate in the same way, so not sure why one would be easier than the other, they both need EQ to sound best. Tight response is more a product of integration with main speakers and placement in the room, not the sub itself. Sealed and ported subs can both sound excellent for music, as I pointed out in another thread, some of the most expensive audiophile grade speakers are ported, why aren’t they’d sealed if that is better for music?

The differences between the two for me are:
1) Size - ported usually bigger for a given driver size
2) output - ported offer more output around tune for a given driver size
3) extension - ported subs roll off faster below their tuning frequency, so either a very Low tunes ported sub or sealed sub should be used if extension into single digits is wanted

I’ve said this many times but imo the audible differences between the designs using the same driver is minimal.

Now with different drivers the audibility with the two alignments might be more prominent.

Sealed and ported subs integrate in the same way, so not sure why one would be easier than the other, they both need EQ to sound best. Tight response is more a product of integration with main speakers and placement in the room, not the sub itself. Sealed and ported subs can both sound excellent for music, as I pointed out in another thread, some of the most expensive audiophile grade speakers are ported, why aren’t they’d sealed if that is better for music?

The differences between the two for me are:
1) Size - ported usually bigger for a given driver size
2) output - ported offer more output around tune for a given driver size
3) extension - ported subs roll off faster below their tuning frequency, so either a very Low tunes ported sub or sealed sub should be used if extension into single digits is wanted

I’ve said this many times but imo the audible differences between the designs using the same driver is minimal.

Now with different drivers the audibility with the two alignments might be more prominent.

Copied from another thread, this would back those thoughts.

It gives a very good explanation on the cabinets for both and why they are designed that way. They talk about ports, FR, output, what's good with music and covers a few 'myths'

It's very good, give it a go if you can.

Hello all,
Further to an older thread which I’ll now delete, I’ve narrowed my sub choices down to either the SVS-Sb3000 or one of the new Arendal 1961 subs.

I’m wondering what your thoughts are?

If I go with the Arendal sub, I need to decide between sealed or vented. Never really understood the difference?

I’m replacing a Dali K14 and using an Anthem 720 and XTZ Cinema series.

James, how large room you have with possible openings? You were after deep bass mainly which the K14 is lacking cause of high port tuning. But i do wonder what was the issue with the earlier 12.17 and did you felt it gave you more impact in the range you are now lacking? Cause it should have! I hope you have tried both woofers at different locations.

Have you considered two subwoofers? That would likely mean two small ones like 1961 1S.

You know you could take some measurements with REW (free program) and using that Anthem mic (without cal file). Would be intresting to see where the K14 is dropping in your room. In review they had strong output down to 25hz and still some at 20hz. From 30hz upwards it kicked ass with the 14" driver with punches that was felt big time.

Hello, why do you want to change your Dali? Which was your choice?

I prefer sealed. However I think svs are no longer value for money compared to years ago. Ie back then £700 got you a sub that outperformed top end m&k

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom