Seagate personal cloud NAS sleep/wake up apps

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seagate personal cloud NAS, is there a way to get an app for it to sleep and wake up when I want on schedule. There is no app's in its own "App Store" and only option is to power down HDD after 20/30/40m etc.

Ideally I want it to wake up manually at specific time in day, and sleep/switch off over night etc. I seem to remember a long time ago (can't find it now though) that you can flash different firmware on it, not official to open it up to more apps?

You can install apps manually at own risk on its own firmware, but the only one I have is Plex server, I can't find any other apps. Can anyone help?
thanks

Anyone please? I’ve been reading and may be able to “convert” the NAS with firmware from another source. Bit nervous on this in case, it’s out of warranty so not bothered on that front but just not sure how stable etc would be.

Sleep/Wake is dependent on hardware functionality as much as an app. Basically, the (motherboard usually) needs to have special hardware functionality such that it can be put to sleep and programmed to wake up in response to a certain event, eg a particular date/time, an elapsed time period and some can be woken up by sending them a "magic" network packet (function called Wake on LAN.)

Thusly, it cannot be universally implemented by installing a software application. The jumping off point would be to find out what you NAS hardware is capable of.

However, I would suggest that if there isn't an App available, and/or it's not native in the built in OS, it's a good chance that what you have isn't sleep/wake capable.

Last edited:
Thanks my suspicions as well.

There were/are apps, but as it’s old and Seagate bought up, it’s now outdated and no apps.

I was hoping, no idea what OS the NAS has etc, that either an older app was out there, or someone made one, as you can download apps manually on the OS interface.

Either that or I’ve read somewhere, can’t find it now, that you could flash the NAS OS to something else and then install apps etc.

It's all dependent on the hardware - if the device isn't sleepable, then no amount of OS up/downgrading is going to make any different. You'd be best to assess the hardware capabilities first.

It's all dependent on the hardware - if the device isn't sleepable, then no amount of OS up/downgrading is going to make any different. You'd be best to assess the hardware capabilities first.
Difficult as I’ve no idea how to find that out. It’s a closed box, searching on internet doesn’t say either about specific’s of it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom