• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 500gb or WD Scorpio Black 7200 320GB?

wanderlust

Standard Member
Hi there,

I'm looking to drop in a new HDD into me Acer Aspire One (A150) to replace the diddy 120gb factory unit. I'd pretty much decided it was a straight fight between the two WD's but the more I've read the more I'm tempted by the Seagate.

Firstly, would the extra 0.5mm in height be an issue when trying to fit the Seagate? There's no point shelling out for a drive that wont fit!

Does anyone have any experience of any of these drives? Would the performance boost of the 7200 units be worth the extra money (£25 at the mo) for the Seagate or worth the loss of disk space for the black?

One of my biggest concerns is overheating, as I'm looking to spend a fair bit of time over in S.E. Asia where it'll be pretty warm anyway and don't want to worry about my little netbook getting overly warm all the time.

The main reason for me buying a netbook was for storage whist on the road, both music files and photos from my DSLR. I'm not looking to attempt and proper image editing, but may play around with the images a little - will the quicker drives make a noticeable difference when say, opening up a 4GB SD card full of pics?

Any and all advice / tips gratefully received!

I just hope I manage to get the little blighter running again once I've taken it to bits to fit the new drive in!

wanderlust

Standard Member
Sorry about the height thing, I've just checked on the WD website and both of their drives are 9.5mm too! :suicide: Think it's time I turned off my pc and did something else, as my mind seems to be wandering!

motigez

Standard Member
why don't you upgrade for SSD?
if you upgrade for capacity, SSD is a wrong idea, but you can always use external 500GB USB drive and put 80GB SSD inside, your productivty is going to soar, and when you upgrade your NB swap and keep using the SSD, (you can find them in less $300)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom