SEAGATE Gaming Portable Hard Drive for PS4 - 2 TB, Black & Blue Is this a good one to use for PS4 games on PS5

The Villan

Standard Member
Has anybody any experience on using

SEAGATE Gaming Portable Hard Drive for PS4 - 2 TB, Black & Blue £62.99 from Curry's​

For holding games from a PS4 to then be used on a PS5 Console?
Thanks for any help.

The Villan

Standard Member
will be slow as its not a SSD on PS5 - get a faster one if you plan on moving PS5 games back and forth.
Thanks so much. For some stupid reason I was thinking it was SSD. So glad you mentioned that. I will be using it purely for PS4 games and running them from that HD. Possibly will use it for PS5 games for back and forth, but at the moment only 1 PS5 game. Back to the drawing board. No wonder I thought it was so cheap. :)

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Just to mention, for the money it costs for a 1TB/2TB external SSD, you’re better off paying the little bit extra (~£20 extra for 1TB, ~£50 for 2TB) & just buying an internal SSD which will let you play PS5 games directly from it & eliminates having to transfer back & forth.

Eventually you’ll run out of internal SSD space, so this will future proof you. If not in a particular hurry (still plenty of room on internal) you could hold off a bit until you see a good deal on an SSD.

The Villan

Standard Member
Just to mention, for the money it costs for a 1TB/2TB external SSD, you’re better off paying the little bit extra (~£20 extra for 1TB, ~£50 for 2TB) & just buying an internal SSD which will let you play PS5 games directly from it & eliminates having to transfer back & forth.

Eventually you’ll run out of internal SSD space, so this will future proof you. If not in a particular hurry (still plenty of room on internal) you could hold off a bit until you see a good deal on an SSD.
Thanks. I have bought

SAMSUNG T7 Portable External SSD - 1 TB
It will do the job as far as the PS4 side goes. I will get an internal ssd as you say when there is a great deal. :)

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I have bought

SAMSUNG T7 Portable External SSD - 1 TB​

It will do the job as far as the PS4 side goes. I will get an internal ssd as you say when there is a great deal. :)

How much did that cost? Probably not much cheaper than an internal 1TB (a heat shield will be £10-£20 on top)
Amazon product

My point was more just put the money towards the internal SSD in the first place rather than buying an external SSD now, & then having to buy another internal later on top.

The Villan

Standard Member
How much did that cost? Probably not much cheaper than an internal 1TB (a heat shield will be £10-£20 on top)
Amazon product

My point was more just put the money towards the internal SSD in the first place rather than buying an external SSD now, & then having to buy another internal later on top.

Thanks I know what you are saying but I am dealing with my Autistic daughter and the only thing she is concerned about at the moment is getting all her PS4 games on an external drive. I need to keep her from having meltdowns at the moment so cost is not so relevant. I will look at it in about 3 months and see how she is getting on. Thanks for your help. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom